·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I will need everything, gaskets, ECU, intake manifold, etc...
actually a list of everything i need would be very usefull. as well as what tools I should have (im a n00b).

this is just the first piece in the project.

·
Registered
51 Posts
i was gonna do a mini me swap but i decided on a d16 because its around the same price and its easier so i would suggest an engine swap instead

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i have a d16y7 already, so i think you might mean a b-series swap? if so thats not the answer im looking for.

·
Registered
51 Posts
ok if tou already have the engine your best luck would be to go to a junkyard and find a 92+ sohc vtec engine and get the head,the header,the intake manifold,and the ecu youll also need to get a wiring harness from the same engine you get the head off of

·
Registered
24 Posts
ok.......I have done this myself, i would suggest going to a junk yard and getting a Y8 head (96-00), intake mani (96-98 no air injection), TB, same year wireing harness and ECU as the Y7...at the dealership your gonna need a head gasket, bolts, intake mani gasket TB gasket and a knock sensor...also if need be a new T belt..also if your not experianced enuff to do all this yourself just from what i told you its going to be a long learning process. if you need any help just post man........ :D

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
so it sounds like im better off getting the stuff from the junkyard than from ebay. i think i know how to get everything but the wiring harness. how hard is that to remove? maybe you could list the order of the pieces to remove, like IM first, then TB, etc... and any details about getting the wiring harness off would be great.

·
Registered
8,193 Posts
your about better off buying a whole engine(long block) cause the D16Y8's and D16Z6's go for stupid low prices and you would have a short block to rebuild/part out/build up what ever you wanted to do

but you will see better gains swaping a Z6 or Y8 transmission than doing a Mini-me

·
Banned
44 Posts
Bukakke_ek9 said:
ok.......I have done this myself, i would suggest going to a junk yard and getting a Y8 head (96-00), intake mani (96-98 no air injection), TB, same year wireing harness and ECU as the Y7...at the dealership your gonna need a head gasket, bolts, intake mani gasket TB gasket and a knock sensor...also if need be a new T belt..also if your not experianced enuff to do all this yourself just from what i told you its going to be a long learning process. if you need any help just post man........ :D
i dont get the wiring and tranny and mounts. can you kindof explain that to me.

·
Registered
8,193 Posts
2jzSupraGTTE said:
i dont get the wiring and tranny and mounts. can you kindof explain that to me.
wiring-you have to wire the vtec and your Y7 car does not have this

tranny-the y8 tranny has shorter gears than the y7 tranny,this is the best mod for the money known to cut 1/4 mile times down by a full second

you dont need any mounts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
do you have to pull the engine to get the tranny out? or does it drop out the bottom? if so how do you lift the car high enough to get it out?

·
Registered
8,193 Posts
you can do it with out lifting the car or pulling the engine,just buy a good set of jack stands and it will come out from the bottom

BTW you might as well build your tranny befor installing if you plan on making any kinda real power

·
Registered
1,946 Posts
An EX Transmission is by far a better investment than the mini me. I know from experience.

Here's a plan in a nutshell:

Get an Ex trans, new clutch, a short shifter, and a lighter flywheel. Then get an EX intake manifold, exhaust manifold, (or header) high flow cat and a cold air intake.

Continue with the bolt ons while saving for some head work.

Find a used Y7 cam on ebay and have it reground by Delta. Also find some PM6 pistons (88-91 Civic SI/EX) and some new rod bearings.

Then get a gasket set, timing belt, water/oil pumps, oil, etc etc and one weekend throw the new pistons in. Take you head down to the machine shop and drop it off for a port & polish and valve job or whatever. Then install your cam and the rest of your parts. Now you have a well built D series that is basically rebuilt. Plus you do all the work yourself so by then you'll be a Honda Genius and ready to build your B/K series.

You can do all this in stages while budgeting the bills.

There was a guy on here who did pretty much this exact same thing and his car was running 14s

·
Registered
8,193 Posts
OK I got a question,

Y7 head with a cam and slight p&p and some springs and retainers vs a Y8 head stock

which will produce more power?

·
Registered
659 Posts
There is a better tranny then the ex one. The jdm d15b tranny as even shorter gear. I have it on my d15b and it runs awsome. Fisrt gears is the same 55km 2 gear is at 85km ex=90km the 3 gear is 140km ex=155km and the 4 gear cant tell cuz i have a speed limiter.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts