Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i have a 93 del sol si that had a d16z6 in it with 297,000 miles on it. Well it finally shit the bed. It sounds like a spun bearing but anyway i swapped it out with a d16y8 that came out of an automatic 98 civic coupe with 28,000 miles that had interior smoke damage that my buddy picked up at the auction.
So i switch everything over from my z6 but i got a few of the hoses mixed up. Well i got all of them sorted except for one of the two IACV hoses. The hose closer to the passenger side i got connected, but the hose closer the the drivers side i cant find where it goes. On my z6 block, the hose goes to the end of the watereck next to the alternator, but i dont see anything like that on the y8 block. Can someone please tell me or post a picture pleaseee ive been doing the swap for 2 weeks in between my 2 jobs and the weathers starting to get nice i just want to drive my del sol:cool!

· Registered
73 Posts
its cool dude, not hard at all to fix. find the hanes or helms manual covering the 96-00 model civics and follow the coolant hose diagrams. you should be able to find where the other line ties back into the coolant system. if this doesnt help, just swap the coolant pipe that runs behind the block with the one from your z6. the z6 pipe has the correct fitting next to the water pump. this can be difficult as the pipe is secured to the water pump housing with an o-ring and kinda has to be pryd/wiggled out. just remove the thermostat housing and start pulling prying and wiggling the pipe till it pulls out of the housing. then install the z6 pipe and thermostat housing. at this point you can complete the connection between the iacv and the coolant pipe, reinstall the rest of the coolant hoses and... thats a wrap. pm me if you need more help.

· Super Nazi Mod
5,806 Posts
Thanks alot for the help, i've found i need to use the y8 manifold anyway to get it to idle right
um you should have been able to use the z6 manifold just fine

· Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I cant get it to idle right. It goes up and down sometimes, but it will idle fine when it wants to but usually just idles high. I hooked up the vacuum guage and it doesnt indicate a leak. I dont get it cause im using everything from the old setup that ran just fine. I've pretty much given up on it and decided just to change everything over, plus im gonna use the y8 manifold with a hondata im gasket in hopes to achieve a little low end boost. I've also ran into another problem. The car shakes alot sometimes taking off and shifting gears and ive checked all the mounts and have rocked the car back and forth while in gear and the motor doesnt move. My tranny is very noising im thinking that might be on its way out too with 294,000 miles on it. It's becoming a pain in the ass and i have 2 jobs so its tough to find time to play with it.

· Registered
73 Posts
the y8 manifold flows better anyway. as for the trans, im thinkin clutch. if you have alot of miles on it it could be the release bearing (throwout bearing) or the damper springs in the disc. could also be bent or damaged fingers on the diaphram. try replacing the clutch. only buy a good quality clutch though. ebay clutches arent bad but the release bearings included are garbage and will destroy a clutch cover in a hurry. replace or turn (mill) your flywheel while you can as a worn flywheel will wear out a new clutch. i recommend a lightweight flywheel. and be sure to replace you pilot bearing. (the little bearing in the center of the flywheel)

if you still have noise from the trans then it is the trans. replace it and your issue should be solved

· Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
the y8 manifold flows better anyway. as for the trans, im thinkin clutch. if you have alot of miles on it it could be the release bearing (throwout bearing) or the damper springs in the disc. could also be bent or damaged fingers on the diaphram. try replacing the clutch. only buy a good quality clutch though. ebay clutches arent bad but the release bearings included are garbage and will destroy a clutch cover in a hurry. replace or turn (mill) your flywheel while you can as a worn flywheel will wear out a new clutch. i recommend a lightweight flywheel. and be sure to replace you pilot bearing. (the little bearing in the center of the flywheel)

if you still have noise from the trans then it is the trans. replace it and your issue should be solved
Brand new clutch disk, pressure plate, release bearing, and pilot bearing. duralast from autozone they usually make some decent stuff. So it must be the tranny:cry

· Super Nazi Mod
5,806 Posts
Brand new clutch disk, pressure plate, release bearing, and pilot bearing. duralast from autozone they usually make some decent stuff. So it must be the tranny:cry
:ninja I do have an si tranny that I don't need anymore

and before some idiot comes in saying an si tranny won't work, the 92-95 si had a d series not b. its flawless. but it is in florida at the other house and I'm in SC. but I could get it up here to ship out or whatever

· Registered
73 Posts

yeah, that sounds about right. just put a duralast clutch in my friends car. works great, start lookin for a new trans, either a dx or ex, the si is great but a little more expensive and can be hard to find. not to mention the shorter 5th gear means less mpg. but itll pull in fif..

· Super Nazi Mod
5,806 Posts
:ninja I do have an si tranny that I don't need anymore

and before some idiot comes in saying an si tranny won't work, the 92-95 si had a d series not b. its flawless. but it is in florida at the other house and I'm in SC. but I could get it up here to ship out or whatever
yeah, that sounds about right. just put a duralast clutch in my friends car. works great, start lookin for a new trans, either a dx or ex, the si is great but a little more expensive and can be hard to find. not to mention the shorter 5th gear means less mpg. but itll pull in fif..
how do you figure hard to find? I posted up in here with an si tranny he doesn't have to look. I'd probably let mine go for 125+shipping

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.