Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, what's the most boost a D16y8 can handle? I just decided to try to up the boost from 7 pounds to like 10 or 11 pounds. It's being managed by my Zdyne ecu (like AEM ems) and 450cc injectors. Man, my little rex became a crayzee. I thought it was whole new car at 7 pounds of turbo boost. Now I felt 10 or so pounds....O M G! I love being boosted. It's only once in a great while as I know the D16 is weak.

·
Registered
2,837 Posts
Ive known people who've gone up to 14psi on stock internals with good fuel management and many hours of careful tuning. Of course these weren't daily drivers either, I'm at 8, and have been there for a good amount time, no problems yet, but I wouldn't go over 10 just to be safe.

·
Registered
2,166 Posts
Peteex said:
Ive known people who've gone up to 14psi on stock internals with good fuel management and many hours of careful tuning. Of course these weren't daily drivers either, I'm at 8, and have been there for a good amount time, no problems yet, but I wouldn't go over 10 just to be safe.
Hey Peteex....... r u running a tranny cooler with ur setup? How is the auto holding up?

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
my friend was running 10 daily, 12 occasionaly on his Y8. It had close to 120k miles too. The only thing he had was a low compression head gasket and a VAFC. It ran like hell too. I can't tell you if it was really reliable because he was only able to drive it for a few months (daily) and then battery acid melted some of the coating around some wires and one thing led to another and his engine bay caught fire ...

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
oomuskablindoo said:
my friend was running 10 daily, 12 occasionaly on his Y8. It had close to 120k miles too. The only thing he had was a low compression head gasket and a VAFC. It ran like hell too. I can't tell you if it was really reliable because he was only able to drive it for a few months (daily) and then battery acid melted some of the coating around some wires and one thing led to another and his engine bay caught fire ...
whoa..10 daily and 12 ocassionaly. Wow! That's pushin it. Did your friend ever clock his car at the 1320? Do bad it caught on fire.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Well what size turbo do you have? I wouldn't be to worried about the what PSI you run. Look at what kind of power you making.
People will tell you 10 psi is the Dseries limit. But actually the block will take alot more. Think about it the sleeves are made of the same stuff as Bseries and it is a smaller bore so in theory it is stronger.
The problem is the rods, they are tooth picks! With good tuning and depending on the type of Dyno you looking for a safe 200 whp.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts