Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my 97 civic ex which i believe is a d16y8, is bone stock. ive found a lot of threads like the one im about to post but i still havent found the info i need. when i get my next pay check about $800, i wanna get some stuff for my car to bump up the power a bit. so i was thinking headers, then i was gonna hollow out the cat, cut off the resonator and i already have a magnaflow muffler on my car. then get a CAI, and a new throttle body. I wanna go to the junk yard to save some money and take a throttle body off another honda, any suggestions, and what would i have to do to make it fit? i would appreciate any input at all, thanx, Colin.

PS sorry if thats mad long

·
Registered
682 Posts
well there homie, if ur ganna get a TB get one off of a B18b1 LS motor or a B16a motor, GSR`s wont fit and i dont think ur ganna find a Type R TB...

·
Registered
682 Posts
sensor will match, they bolt on fine and u should b cool.. hit it up and tell me how it goes...

·
Registered
682 Posts
98civcEK said:
these aren't worth doing. cause with the cat hollowed and the resonator gone it will sound like a very loud fart can.

especially since it wont b adding that much hp...

·
Registered
11,248 Posts
the hp gains of a hollowed out cat will not be noticeable. what people don't realize is that the stock cat is very good. The only reason to replace it is to get a larger unit to match larger header and exhaust piping.

If I were in your position and planned to spend $800. I would get shocks and springs with a k&n drop in air filter with the stock airbox.

Then I would do a tune-up on the car. plugs (ngk be6re11 instead of the zfr5 plugs), cap, rotor, wires... Add some gumout regane complete fuel system cleaner. Change the oil. Do a valve adjustment and be a bit more aggressive with it :) Add a header and get a catback exhaust. Thats about all of the power that you can get out of a d-series *WITHOUT* doing internal work like ported heads, a better cam, and a built bottom end.

·
Registered
682 Posts
i dont think he i saying forget it, but he is right, take care of basic car care b4 u worry about it and yes he is right as in with every motor... u have to do the bolt ons and baic car care b4 u can go up in the power department..

·
Registered
10,384 Posts
swapping out to a b series throttle body would not be worth the gains if no internal work has been done. the y8 throttle body will be good until you put a cam in, and even after that, the cam you would run on the street isn't going to necessarily need a larger TB.

·
Registered
682 Posts
wow.... i ran a type R TB with bolt ons and it made powe.. but i guess i only go to the dyno cause i dont know anything and im a ricer... :clap

·
Registered
10,384 Posts
you must be a ricer because i don't see where i said it didn't make power. for the work, i don't think its worth it on a stock IM.. plus not everyone knows how to port, so it might be risking a good IM gettting ruined, when an aftermarket IM *should* be a better match. and not everyone has a dyno they can use in their spare time.

:rolleyes have you ever tried not being such a smartass? perhaps if you didn't act like you thought you knew everything, people wouldn't think you know nothing.

·
Registered
208 Posts
IISaiNtII said:
you must be a ricer because i don't see where i said it didn't make power. for the work, i don't think its worth it on a stock IM.. plus not everyone knows how to port, so it might be risking a good IM gettting ruined, when an aftermarket IM *should* be a better match. and not everyone has a dyno they can use in their spare time.

:rolleyes have you ever tried not being such a smartass? perhaps if you didn't act like you thought you knew everything, people wouldn't think you know nothing.
PNWED!!!! lol :D :clap :hehe

Reactions: Cruise Control
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.