Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright, so my motor pretty much went. it's a 97 civic ex, it knocks terribly bad on an off rythme. My guess with the sound would be a wrist pin locking up causing piston slap. So now the motor's out of the car, and soon to be torn down to find the actual cause.

As far as rebuild, I want to build it up some to give her a little more pep. and I know with a small amount spent i won't get much, however I'd still like to do it. I was thinking a typical rebuild, new gaskets, bearings, honing, seat the valves and re angle them. But I thought i might throw some eagle H-beam rods in there for future boost. and some high compression pistons for now. maybe a mild street cam. Am I on the right track? any suggestions on brands, or maybe tweaking the plans a bit to better suit what im going for? any input would be great!

·
Banned
21 Posts
Hi,
Great decision on changing the car gaskets. Just check this site to know how to replace your car gaskets. An Old gasket may damage the car valves.So replacing it when torn is best. Visit here for more information - Replacing your car's Valve Cover Gasket.To seal the cylinder,head gaskets are really useful and car owners must choose best car and quality gaskets to ensure the comfortness in driving.

Rubber Gasket Sheet

·
Registered
5,269 Posts
check out CP Pistons for your D16Y8 at JDM Parts for Honda, Acura, Nissan, Mitsubishi, Scion Vehicles | Password JDM
They make two versions, no overbore (75mm diameter), and 1st overbore (75.5mm diameter). $592 so it isn't a cheap alternative.
Eagle connecting rods are nice. That's $400. You'll have less rotating mass in the engine with lighter pistons which will correspond to a little more HP, not torque.
I think the 1st overbore pistons may give more torque since the displacement would be increased.

That's $1000 into the bottom end. It kind of gives you a bit more than a stock engine but it may not be the power-to-cash ratio you are looking for that you would get in a turbo or NOS kit.

What's your budget? It might be better just to do a basic rebuild and buy a turbo kit. Skip the high-end pistons, connecting rods, cams, oversize valves.
They are nice but are overkill for something that you aren't taking to the track. Then again, there's less hassle with a NA build-up. You have 1.6 liter engine so you can't expect to get a lot more out of that by improving the parts in the block and cylinder head.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts