Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got an aem cam gear for my 97 civic ex , I have all stock internals, and I don’t know if I should advance or retard the timing on the cam gear? Also what is the difference between them? Thanks

·
Registered
6,555 Posts
are doing this on the dyno or by the seat of your pants??

·
Registered
7,273 Posts
when you do this kind of stuff, you need to use a dyno. any other way could hurt the motor. so leave it at 0 degrees till that time.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i am planing on doing this by my seat of my pants. so if i leve it at 0 then there is realy no point on haveing an aem gear?

·
Registered
3,789 Posts
about 2* retard is wgat mosy bolton cars like the most, you will lose low enf(sub 3000rpm) torqe but the car will pick up better in the top end.

also make SURE to adjust your ignition timing back to 12* BTDC after adjusting the cam(the distributer runs off the cam) once you get the cam where you want it I would say to advance ignition timing by about 2-3 degres.

this stuf yields minute gains on bolton cars and its more to get the feel/powerband you like rater then Al out hp. thats the way Ilook at it.

me personaly I like beefy mid range and good top end, low I want mpg. this is why I converted to obd1. now all I need is a burner and a wideband to dial this thing in DEAD on, when you turn the ditributer to advance you shift the whole map NOT just a specific part at WOT so basicly your car will run great at WOT if you advance it a few degrees but you may scrofice mpg down lower.

it cost me 200 bucks to get converted to obd1 to get all of the tuning gear another 200 but its a GREAT investmnt plus you can charge people for tuning if your good and you do a few cars for free to get the word out.

also you could burn chips and charge 30 bucks each on ebay :) only costs like 5 bucks to buy a chip lol

·
Registered
20,271 Posts
no real way unless u get it dyno tuned

1 - 6 of 6 Posts