Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a greddy turbo and intercooler powering my d16z at 5 psi. i also have a spare d16z just in case i blow my current engine when i start playing around with the boost this spring. i plan on getting a thicker head gasket, ignition and fuel upgrades, and a V-AFC so i can test the limits of my current setup.

here's my situation:
i don't want to start playing around with the boost on my current setup until after i build my spare d16z (so as to cut down on the down time). at first, i was thinking that i would build my spare d16z with lower compression pistons and just run higher boost levels, but i DON'T plan on upgrading my turbo. if i were to lower my compression, i know i could see higher boost levels than what the greddy turbo could supply (with proper tuning, of course). so i thought, "what would be the point of building a motor if it couldn't see it's full potential (since the greddy turbo can only flow so much air)?"

so now i was thinking that i would build my spare d16z with higher compression pistons (maybe 10.0:1 or 10.5:1). by doing so, i would not have to put as much stess on the greddy turbo and just boost lower to get more power. if i were to go this route, i would definitely get it dyno tuned.

what do you guys think? what are the pros and cons of each setup? any comments or recommendations would be greatly appreciated. i plan on getting some eagle forged rods, but am undecided on which piston (brand and compression) to egt. i was looking at some SRPs or some arias pistons.

i forgot to mention that this is my DD, so i need to be able to drive it reliably to and fro my long commute to school. and as far as what i want out of the car, well i want a setup that is good off the line, that's why i'm leaning toward a higher compression setup (please correct me if that won't get me off the line quicker). i also want something reliable (but that will come with good tuning).

·
Registered
320 Posts
I think that sounds fucking cool. Make sure you sleeve the motor, and make sure you have some sort of engine management. Your daily driving boost can be 6psi-8psi, and your race can be about 15psi, which is where the turbo runs out of breath...but you should be hitting 12's.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
what are the limitations of the stock sleeves? i wasn't originally planning to resleeve the motor b/c of cost, however, if i can find a place within driving distance of detroit, i would consider sleeving (i could save money by not having to ship my block), but cost is still a factor.

as far as engine management goes, i was just considering a 255lph in tank fuel pump, MSD 6A (w/btm, possibly) and coil, a V-AFC, and more than likely larger injectors and fpr. i would rather stick with these things than get a standalone because these are the things i would be using to tune my engine when i'm playing with my boost settings this spring with my current setup.

i'm trying to plan things out in advance because cost is a factor. it looks like i won't be getting a standalone, if i can get away with using the parts mentioned above. a standalone, to me, doesn't seem necessary since many turbo kits for the b series motors just use larger injectors and fpr on 6-8psi and 10.0(+?):1 compression.

thanks for the feedback. i think i'm gonna go for higher compression pistons, now i just have to plan everything accordingly, keeping in mind what i want to do with my current setup this spring.

what kind of pistons (compression) would you reccomend? i was thinking about 10.0:1, but would get 10.5:1, if i can get away with it with the upgrades mentioned above.

·
Registered
320 Posts
JE pistons are the tops in my opinion. But dude, you have to sleeve that motor. The stock internals are only good for 220-250hp before they go bunk. Pushing 15psi, you should be making more than that. Sleeving the D series is very important.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i was not able to find 10:1 pistons for my engine, so i think i'm gonna go with 10.5:1.

how will going with a 10.5:1 piston as opposed to a 9:1 affect power output at the same boost with proper tuning?

btw- thanks for the input

·
Registered
320 Posts
It should be a nice difference. Also, when you think about it, 10.5:1 isn't really even all that high anyway. It's a good number.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts