Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Registered
782 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1993 Del Sol Si D16Z6 with manual transmission. I noticed, for the first time, that my tachometer reads a redline of 7250rpm. I took a photo of it....check it out.

My question is why does my tachometer redline so high? I mean I have owned 2 1993 Del Sol Si manuals and one redlined at 6500rpm on the tach and this one is at 7250rpm. I have seen JDM clusters where the redline is at 8200rpm and even EUDM that redline at 8000rpm. But I have never seen another Del Sol with a D16Z6 that had a redline of 7250rpm.

I know it really doesn't matter what the redline reads but I am wondering if my car is somehow unique because of this. My car was built from the factory with several strange options. One of which is that it never had A/C from the factory. So, do you guys think that the redline for a factory USDM Del Sol Si D16Z6 without A/C was different from one with A/C? Does the redline change when the car has an automatic transmission?

Just collecting information and I thought this might make an interesting topic....POST YOUR REDLINE PICTURES!:clappy

· Super Nazi Mod
5,806 Posts
I have a 1993 Del Sol Si D16Z6 with manual transmission. I noticed, for the first time, that my tachometer reads a redline of 7250rpm. I took a photo of it....check it out.

My question is why does my tachometer redline so high? I mean I have owned 2 1993 Del Sol Si manuals and one redlined at 6500rpm on the tach and this one is at 7250rpm. I have seen JDM clusters where the redline is at 8200rpm and even EUDM that redline at 8000rpm. But I have never seen another Del Sol with a D16Z6 that had a redline of 7250rpm.

I know it really doesn't matter what the redline reads but I am wondering if my car is somehow unique because of this. My car was built from the factory with several strange options. One of which is that it never had A/C from the factory. So, do you guys think that the redline for a factory USDM Del Sol Si D16Z6 without A/C was different from one with A/C? Does the redline change when the car has an automatic transmission?

Just collecting information and I thought this might make an interesting topic....POST YOUR REDLINE PICTURES!:clappy
meh the vtec engines normally rev to 7200. the nonvtec normally redline at 6500-6800

alot of delsols didn't come with a/c neither did alot of civics. nothing out of the norm with that

· Registered
10,346 Posts
I disagree, my turd came with PS and AC, apparently those are very common in teh del sols, every single del sol around me has both form the factory

maybe its just a coicidence :dunno:

· Registered
10,346 Posts
oh, and my redline is marked at 6100 or 6200, and the fuel cut is about 6250 or 6350

With taht redline, Im wondering if its a canadian model gauge cluster, they had some weird cars overthere, like the canadian SI being a USDM ex, etc....

· Registered
10,346 Posts
Read before posting. He didnt say all small cars are like that, he said it is common for del sols and civic to come without those.

· Registered
10,346 Posts
no one on here said they never came like that from the factory. The OP was stating HIS car came from the factory with no AC, as in he doesnt have it curreently, and he thinks it didnt to begin with (original owner removing it possibly)

· Registered
782 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yeah mine is factory no A/C. There is not a hint of A/C ever being on the car. According to Honda the VIN comes back without that option. I don't know how they can tell that as I didn't think the VIN contained that sort of information. But anyway it is strange to have a USDM Del Sol Si with that redline. I have not ever seen another one that way.

I recently removed the cluster to upgrade bulbs to leds and it doesn't look like anyone had ever removed the cluster before. So, I don't think that this was a modification by some rabid del sol JDM wanabe. I just thought it might make an interesting topic to see how many different redlines there were for the del sol.

So, post your pics and let's make a list.

· Registered
10,346 Posts

· Registered
10,346 Posts
My auto is plenty fine for now. Im only gonna swap it for a 5 spd when I kill it after I boost.

There isnt a huge difference. Is that difference between an auto and manual big? HELLZ YEZZ!!!!

But its not worth it to me right now as the tranny still functions good and doesnt jerk between shifts or anything.

Im on a tight budget dude. But yeah, 5spd is somewhere in the future, even sooner if I win the lottery.

· Registered
782 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I love the ease of use on an auto but it is nowhere near as fun as a manual especially when your car has good power numbers.
My wife just got a 2009 Subaru Legacy and demanded that it have two things: 1. the 243hp turbo 4 & 2. an auto tranny. YECK!

· Registered
10,346 Posts
Autos are fine. You can manually shift them somewhat, at least for up shifting :lol

They do hold boost between shifts, so if you have one that holds extra power, auto is the way to go.

· Registered
10,346 Posts
But yeah you're definetly right, manual is WAY more fun to drive

· Registered
782 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The old autos in a Civic have always been sketchy to me. The new ones on Subaru's are really fancy...they allow manumatic shifting. They also hold boost really well so her car drives really well...for a Legacy.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.