Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Heres my question......i just recently bought a 93 civic ex with the d16z6 engine. i thought that they all were vtec but the vavle cover doesnt say vtec on it. did they make a non-vtec model? is there a way i could tell if it was vtec besides the valve cover?
any help would be great. thanx alot.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ok. thanx. also.... i was planning on maybe racing it on the 1/4 mile. if i was going out to the track....about 1once a month, what parts should i watch out for, or replace. this is my daily driver so im tryin to keep it out of the shop as much as i can.im kinda just gettin into tuning, so im not exactly in the know about all of this stuff.

·
Registered
7,625 Posts
You got a pretty solid motor in there even for stock. That's Honda for ya!

If you want some real speed out of it though, then you need to modify that thing. You must first determine your budget, then decide what route for power building you want to take. Turbo, nitrous, supercharger, or all-motor. Nitrous and all-motor will be least expensive.

How fast do you want to be? Obviously you can only go so far and still be a reliable daily driver, but you can get respectable times and if you're tuned properly it will give you many miles of trouble-free enjoyment.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Civic EX '92-'95 came w/ the D16Z6 motor and ALL D16Z6 motors are SOHC VTEC. they didn't say VTEC on the valve cover 'til '94 I believe. Plus the spark plug wires adn towards fron on the top of the valve cover if it's a SOHC VTEC. And the spark plugs are towards the back on the top of the valve cover. Plus the D16Z6 has a redline of 7200 rpm. And VTEC kicks in it 4800 rpm NOT 5500.

·
Registered
597 Posts
in the UK only the DOHC vtec engines have the VTEC labelled rocker cover, the SOHC ones dont but they do have a vtec badging on the body work

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If you see a VTEC solenoid bolted to the cylinder head with 2 connectors attached to it then it is VTEC.

alright. thanx you guys helped alot. one more question.....i feeldumb asking but wht does the selenoid look like? i think i know where it is but i never trust myself cause im not sure.

·
Registered
323 Posts
just read the code on the engine! it will be imprinted on the block or tranny, one of the 2, but it's there

·
Registered
7,625 Posts
skater4145 said:
alright. thanx you guys helped alot. one more question.....i feeldumb asking but wht does the selenoid look like? i think i know where it is but i never trust myself cause im not sure.
If you are standing in front of your car looking into the engine bay, it is on the back-side, left-hand corner of the head, wedged between the valve cover and the fuel rail. It has a green connector on the side and a little cylinder standing up on top.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
ok thanx. it has the seleniod. but would it matter if it was from the honda of canada???

How fast do you want to be? Obviously you can only go so far and still be a reliable daily driver, but you can get respectable times and if you're tuned properly it will give you many miles of trouble-free enjoyment.
i think im gonna go with no2. i dont have tons of money for a turbo.

·
Registered
3,081 Posts
skater4145 said:
ok thanx. it has the seleniod. but would it matter if it was from the honda of canada???

i think im gonna go with no2. i dont have tons of money for a turbo.
no it doesn't matter ;) it's n2o btw and don't think you can just slap it on there either...you have to tune tune tune with any big power adder such as turbo, n2o or a SC

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
no it doesn't matter it's n2o btw and don't think you can just slap it on there either...you have to tune tune tune with any big power adder such as turbo, n2o or a SC
yah....n2o...thats what i meant;)

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
yah unfortunatly im always low on the funds so i hafta do the work to the engine first, and over a period of time. while im doing that then i can decide what n2o system i want:D

·
Registered
7,625 Posts
Well, that's the way you should do it anyways. Don't get the nitrous then demolish your engine and be forced to rebuild it when time and money may be in short supply. Plan ahead and put all the right stuff in place so when you put the bottle on you know you'll have nothing to worry about!

I suggest Eagle rods for D-series, they support more hp than you'll get even with N2O and they cost about half what Crower wants for their rods. Cost about $350.

Get some 10.5:1 forged pistons, those will run you $400 or so but they will be reliable with the nitrous and also give you more torque & hp when the bottle is off.

A good ignition system with nitrous is a plus too, an MSD with cap and coil will run you about $300.

Toss on the nitrous kit and you'll be killing B-swaps with bolt ons for half the price.

·
Registered
7,625 Posts
A 75-shot on stock internals is probably too much, but if you build it up like I said with forged stuff it's totally do-able. A dude I used to talk to had a 97 hatch with a d16y7 (non-VTEC) with VERY high compression with all-forged internals and tuned ECU, some other mods like EX tranny, blah blah...he fired a 70-shot in there and ran a 13.58 in the 1/4!!! That's non-VTEC on the bottle!!!

·
Registered
259 Posts
TURBO CIVIC

my friends 94 turbo civic Ex, headers, cold air induction, and exhaust burned a manual S2000 stock by 3 Car lengths. * i know the owner of the S2000 and he isnt to good of a driver.

*i think it was a superhonda.com vid but TT civic low 11s in 1/4 mile... dunno if had engine swap or what... check it out though

1 - 20 of 39 Posts