Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does the D17A2, REALLY suck that bad? I've been in the 7thgencivic forum and i'm getting really discouraged. I'm looking to do more than just bolt ons, and I know there are not many parts other than that now, but I hear Crower is coming out with a cam, hondata may be working on something for the D17 and so on and so forth. So far all I have on is a V2 Intake, Megan Header, Megan test pipe, tsudo exhaust, VAFC II, and Denso Iridium plugs. I can't afford a swap, and I'm not sure that I'd even want to if I could. This is more of a hobby, but I don't want to completely waste my money either. I don't race a ton, but may like to if I can compete some. I'm to the point where I may just buy nitrous and call it good, but then knowing my luck, I'll blow my motor and really be screwed...

Will the D17 ever have a chance to compete all motor, N/A....????

·
Registered
8,403 Posts
VegasJones said:
Does the D17A2, REALLY suck that bad? I've been in the 7thgencivic forum and i'm getting really discouraged. I'm looking to do more than just bolt ons, and I know there are not many parts other than that now, but I hear Crower is coming out with a cam, hondata may be working on something for the D17 and so on and so forth. So far all I have on is a V2 Intake, Megan Header, Megan test pipe, tsudo exhaust, VAFC II, and Denso Iridium plugs. I can't afford a swap, and I'm not sure that I'd even want to if I could. This is more of a hobby, but I don't want to completely waste my money either. I don't race a ton, but may like to if I can compete some. I'm to the point where I may just buy nitrous and call it good, but then knowing my luck, I'll blow my motor and really be screwed...

Will the D17 ever have a chance to compete all motor, N/A....????
all that megan shit is hindering u, the motor is already impaired, its like givin a retarded kid drunk goggles.

·
Registered
478 Posts
tienlude said:
all that megan shit is hindering u, the motor is already impaired, its like givin a retarded kid drunk goggles.
whatever dork, instead of trying to act like you know it all why not offer some assistance huh??

the Megan company may not be the most expensive "bling" but when comparing breathing modifications to other breathing modifications, theres actually very little difference.... only in terms of longevity is questionable, not overall power results.

now to help the "kid" as you said..

the d17 has a returnless fuel system that makes pulling power and tuning from it a PITA.
not to say it cant be done.

the d17 is plagued by one other major problem, a chassis that cant get out of its own way. this will make it harder to get the same times as other people with less modified engines and a lighter chassis. wieght is the enemy to the pocket book.

there are ALWAYS options but the question becomes, how fast do you wanna go, and how much do you have to spend.

give me those and i can assist you in your goals to the best of my ability.

~Mike

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks for some acutal "helpful" information...seems like what you usually get on these forums is a bunch of dipshits just knocking you down because you're a noob..I've actually decided that I'm gonna give nitrous a shot...i'm going to buy a kit tonight and see how that goes...this is more of a hobby of mine...so I'm not looking to get fast in any certain amount of time....I just wanna be able to compete on the weekends and so on and so forth...I'm gonna throw a 50 shot of nitrous on with a NOS kit and see how that is....as far as money goes...I'd spend as much as I have...when I take on a hobby I'll get pretty dedicated....but I don't want to spend money that wont show results....so with this D17, i'm pretty discouraged already with the money i've spent on the I/H/E, plugs, and VAFC II.....so maybe the nitrous will ease some pain....

·
Registered
10,272 Posts
I'm not quite sure what your goals are....but I just wanted to throw out that k-series are always an easy option for your chassis.

·
Registered
478 Posts
yea real viable and easy. (if you woudl have READ instead of just throwing out your lame opinion beforehand, youd have SEEN what his goals are...)

thanks for some acutal "helpful" information...seems like what you usually get on these forums is a bunch of dipshits just knocking you down because you're a noob
or you get crap like what he posted above lol

more crap.

Now, as far as your nitrous plans go, becareful. the returnless fuel system is tricky.

i suggest the basic zex kit if you intend to do it.
check your PM box as well. =)

·
Registered
382 Posts
hey fellow 7thgencivic member. Well, I'm in a possibly worst situation than you, I have a D17a1.... as for NA... the D17 just hasnt had as much luck with the aftermarket as the pervious Civics have.... NA wise, you've just about done it all for a D17.... I do recommend AEM underdrive pullies however... I dont have much mods, but I can say for the D17, the pullies are a good buy.

·
Registered
11,248 Posts
vegas

I'd start be removing the vafc2. You don't have the mods to make good use of it.

I don't have a lot of knowledge regarding the d17's. I'd recommend looking into some of the paths that people take when properly building a d16. The big limiting factor of the d17 will be the fact that no one currently offers any cams for it, but you could always play with your valve lash in the meantime.

Seems to me like the d17 has some potential, but it will never be a high rpm screamer due to its long stroke, but that doesn't mean that you can't make it fun to drive.

Anyone looked into swapping some older d-series parts onto the d17?

·
Registered
478 Posts
kommon check the d17 archives on SOHC

theres a few people that have tried the z6/y8 heads on them.. etc

·
Registered
11,248 Posts
i'll take a look... thats good news. i was looking at some pics of the d17a2 head and was not impressed by the ports and it had one of the nastiest intake manifolds that I've ever seen...

I'd be curious to see how folks worked out the cop while using the z6/y8 head. however as long as the valve covers are interchangeable, it shouldn't be too bad, as long as you can figure out how to mount the tdc sensor.

·
Registered
150 Posts
i hope they dont suck.. i got me a 04 LX
major mods?
i got a
-VTEC Head Swap... hmm feels better top end not much bottom end.. feels the same bottom end and feels better up top.... i got an auto so ya.. i dynoed it at 101whp and my stock LX auto had 90whp

so its like a LS/VTEC but for the SOHC Motors.. heh hence id say LX/VTEC :clap

I got the head for free!!

·
Registered
150 Posts
if ud want a faster D17 if u had an auto..and goin N/A get a trans w/ close gear ratios for faster acceleration.. i dont know if u could swap trans from other D-series motors but if u coukld that would be pimp... if ud would go turbo id stick w/ the D17's auto cuz it has wide gear ratios

·
Registered
24 Posts
for a faster d17 youd have to get the d17a2 ina manual .,, this engine has potential . we all have to chill abit on wut compnays are gonna build for our engines.. its still quit new. but in a year or two .more people will have these and be rantin for performance. itll happen. then we can unleash the beast again in the sohc. for those of you looking into building an all motor d17a2 like i am . look into GUDE they have camshafts, headwork ect for this engine.

i wouldnt be surprised if a nice ass manifold would be built in replace for the wierd one we have , engineering parts for our engines isnt nothing. its just gettin them to know we want them is the problem.

if they dont know they wont build.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts