Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i noticed in the engine thread for honda codes it says that the 2001 and up EX d17a2 is VTEC-E, but the owners manual and honda say only the HX is VTEC-E and the EX is normal single cam VTEC...wich is true??

·
Registered
396 Posts
can't really say for sure.... but i would tend to go with what the ppl who make the car say and not some retard* on a message board.

*no offense to anyone

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
lol...thanks i would have to agree...but im new in the whole honda engine code alphabet soup so i thought i would ask....

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
HalfTec said:
i noticed in the engine thread for honda codes it says that the 2001 and up EX d17a2 is VTEC-E, but the owners manual and honda say only the HX is VTEC-E and the EX is normal single cam VTEC...wich is true??
You could always just check the code on the block. Just down and left a little from where the header mounts onto the block. Should be engraved on the block right next to the Bell housing for the tranny.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I believe the D17A2 is VTEC-E. It's an exhaust-only version of VTEC, from what I understand. Some places, Honda mentions that it's VTEC-E, other places, it doesn't. All I know is, I was excited about the D17A2 since it had more displacement, and it was said to be a brand new longblock, so you figured Honda would make it a competitive block built for mods, since they know the import scene is hot. Unfortunately, the engine is a major dog, and nobody is really scrambling to make any parts for it. I have a 2002 EX Coupe, and I'm kinda bummed. I love the car, the appointments are nice, and it's peppy enough... but there is basically 0 potential for speed (thus far). I'm glad there finally was a K20 swap though, maybe in a few years when it's more common I'll slap one of those bad boys in there. Who knows..... but anyway, to answer your question, To the best of my knowledge, it's VTEC-E.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ok i have the civic brocure and i figured it all out...lol..but thanks for the replies...the HX is the one with the VTEC-E, The EX is normal VTEC, the only difference it is on the intake side only...so its like half VTEC ;) hence my screen name....HalfTEC :D

·
Registered
2,222 Posts
HalfTec said:
ok i have the civic brocure and i figured it all out...lol..but thanks for the replies...the HX is the one with the VTEC-E, The EX is normal VTEC, the only difference it is on the intake side only...so its like half VTEC ;) hence my screen name....HalfTEC :D
actually the 2001 civic brochure says the ex is vtec-e.

·
Registered
47 Posts
im 99% sure the D17A2 is VTEC-E. I think Honda may have realized that telling people the EX was VTEC-E was dissuading them, so they decided to leave it out in later publications... although who knows... maybe they're just not consistent when they print up information. All I know is, I've seen VTEC-E in more than one place, when decscribing the D17A2.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
well i dunno...so if somebody is 100% sure...then please reply, but the new brochure here for the 2003 civic says in the "HX uses VTEC-E and a special lean burn technology to produce lower emissions, and the EX uses VTEC to broaden the powerband"....and blah blah with the rest of the brochure. so i dunno...but either way...i still havent gotten a really accurate answer on a previous post...if it is normal VTEC, can you hear it kick in or whatever with an aftermarket intake? and if it is VTEC-E, do you even hear or feel anything at all??

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ok sorry about all the posting, but now im really confused...this stuff is right off the honda website from the engineering section

HX and EX models feature Honda's VTEC® technology for greatly reduced emissions and higher fuel economy. Employing many refinements in the interest of cleaner combustion, VTEC®-E* technology is based on Honda's VTEC variable-valve-timing system, which promotes efficient, lean combustion at mid- and high rpm.

*VTEC®-E is available on HX only.

but in the specifications section, it says the EX uses VTEC-E.....does anybody know the truth?? :confused: :eek: lol...apparently honda doesnt even know

·
Registered
2,356 Posts
BDC knows.. Don't let him see this, haha :p ;)

He claims they're both VTEC-E.. I believe him though..

·
Registered
2,356 Posts
HalfTec said:
dont let him see what?...and why?? lol
Because he'll set you guys straight, haha.. ;) :)

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
well i figured its a technical question so thats why i posted it here...i wish somebody would set it straight thats all im looking for...just trying to find out exactly whats under the hood of my new car....edmonds says its VTEC-E...motor trend says its VTEC and "kicks in at 4500"....honda says both...lol..go figure...and i havent floored the car yet because the manual says to wait untill U get 600 miles on it...so damn!...i just dont know :mad:

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
well that kinda helps...but every other website says a different thing...like this one from M/T

by Scott Mead

When Honda introduced the Civic in '73, it quickly established the company's foothold in the American marketplace. At the time, it was seen as a tiny, inconspicuous car built by an outfit best known for motorcycles, competing in a market full of V-8-powered lead sleds packing acres of sheetmetal and more chrome than in a Las Vegas strip club. Despite the OPEC fuel crisis in full swing that year, most automakers didn't bat an eye at Honda's well-built, gas-sipping little hatchback.
Big mistake.

Typical quality Honda materials make up the spacious interior. Pushing the engine forward allows for more legroom.
1.7L engine nestles between the MacPherson struts, 127 hp at the ready.

Almost from the beginning, it's been the best-selling subcompact in the U.S. For '01, Honda's upped the ante with increased performance, new suspension hardware, a larger cabin, and an increased level of safety features. This seventh-generation Civic also attempts to build on its track record for sporty styling, economical operation, and excellent price-to-value relationship. Available as a four-door sedan or a two-door coupe, the Civic's freshened bodywork is edgier than that of its predecessor. With a miniaturized Volvo S80-ish trunk and sculpted taillamp assembly, plus a rear bumper cover sans the former exhaust cutout, the tail of the Civic takes on more of the looks of its big brother Accord. From the profile, the Civic gains new lower rocker moldings and a full-length accent line running along the lower third of the door panels, making the vehicle look longer than it is. Aggressive multi-element headlights dominate the nose.

The new Civic moves from the EPA's subcompact to its compact class this year, thanks to its larger interior (104.3 cu ft of volume). While its overall length is actually 0.5 in. shorter, the cabin has been stretched 2.6 in. between the wheels over 2000 models. Although the driver's space feels larger than last year's variant-with increases in leg-, shoulder-, and hiproom-the Nissan Sentra and Mazda Protégé (which remain in the subcompact class) still best the Civic in front headroom and shoulder room.

Honda's star player was one of the first cars to prove that "entry level" doesn't mean you have to compromise your comfort standards. Its new interior features a waterfall dash with a soft-touch surround and typically outstanding control arrangement. We especially liked the placement of the climate controls and stereo on the center stack, which are only a fingertip away and easy enough for a six-year-old to use. "Easy-to-reach adult-size control knobs and multi-adjustable rheostats are a dream, instead of just the usual three or four choices" was just one comment. The gauges are also clear and easy to read.

Front cloth seats provided good thigh and lateral support, but we found the lumbar too high and stiff to get comfortable on long trips. If you plan on frequently carrying adults in the rear seat of the Civic, we suggest you reconsider that notion before heading off cross-country with a pair of six-footers in back. Ingress and egress to the rear compartment are less than ideal, with somewhat shallow-opening doors, a protruding rear wheelhouse, and a high-mounted cushion that's a guaranteed head banger for anyone over 5 ft 10 in. tall. Rear legroom is at a premium (not uncommon in pint-size four-doors), and for the effort Honda designers took to open up the cabin, they should've worked in another inch of space for rear seat passengers.

Shortening the Civic also necessitating revising the suspension. Instead of redesigning the tried and true (and more expensive) double-wishbone arrangement, Honda elected to jump on the MacPherson-strut bandwagon. Granted, for 90 percent of the 300,000 or so people a year who buy a Civic, the suspension change will go unnoticed. But performance-oriented owners will feel jilted, and Honda tuners will now have to work harder to get the cheaper underpinnings to handle at enthusiast levels.

The result is increased understeer and bodyroll with the front and rear giving us the impression that the ends are rolling at slightly different rates during hard cornering exercises. Front spring rates were reduced by 24 percent this year to help smooth the ride, but Honda's engineers dialed out too much, leaving more mush than we care for. As always, we're impressed by Honda's build quality, even on this early prototype model; it served up tight body seams and good panel fit that would make a Cavalier jealous.

WHAT'S HOT
Great value, suberb reliability, excellent Civic resale price

WHAT'S NOT
Tight back seat, soft suspension

No complaints under the hood: Honda smartly decided to inject more performance into the mix, upping the displacement across the line to 1.7L. The base, mileage-leading HX model gains two additional ponies and 7 lb-ft of torque, while reducing hydrocarbons by 63 percent. Midline DX and LX Civics receive a SOHC inline-four with a 9-hp boost over last year (to 115), plus 7 more lb-ft of torque. Our top-of-the-line EX tester gets no additional horsepower over last year's top engine offering, but receives 7 additional ft-lb of twist for '01. All powerplants qualify the Civic for Ultra-Low-Emission Vehicle status.

We found the new powertrain punchy and free-revving, and the manual gearbox in our tester proved well matched to the engine's powerband. Off throttle, the engine idled smooth as silk, but mash the throttle to the floorboard and the VTEC timing kicks in at 4500 rpm with a strong pull to the front wheels and a throaty exhaust note that performance enthusiasts will appreciate.

The new Civic posted decent numbers, 0-60 in 9.0 sec and taking on the quarter mile in 16.5 sec at 82.7 mph. Grinding it to a halt is a four-sensor three-channel ABS-assisted front-disc/rear-drum configuration that's not only firm and positive, but easy to modulate, as well. Emergency stopping exercises were linear with moderate ABS pulse through the pedal, accompanied by short lock-unlock-lock bursts. The system is progressive and confidence inspiring-even after repeated maneuvers. We consistently got the Civic to stop from 60 mph in 136 ft.

As a grocery-getter, the Civic pleases. Trunk capacity has been enlarged by a foot overall, with a wider opening and lower liftover. In order to get the additional room, Honda redesigned the rear independent suspension to not protrude into the trunk, as it did on the previous generation. The EX coupe includes a cargo net, a helpful goody every Civic should have as standard equipment.

As always, Honda's taken a stellar product, tweaked, fiddled, tucked, and whittled to create a fresh look and assuredly another class winner. Even with an estimated base price of $17,334, while the new Civic has its flaws-most particularly giving away some precious handling in the name of a softer ride-Honda set its sights on the young families looking for safe, reliable transportation with good looks, without breaking the bank account. At that, Honda's succeeded in spades.

now U see my confusion??

·
Registered
936 Posts
HalfTec said:
ok sorry about all the posting, but now im really confused...
SOURCE: MSNCarPoint - 2002 Honda CiViC

2002 Honda Civic
Model Line Description

New for 2002:

The Civic was redesigned last year and subtle improvements for this year include revised steering for improved driving feel and added insulation for noise reduction.

Information

History: The evolution of the Honda Civic closely parallels that of Honda itself as a car manufacturer. The first Civic, introduced in 1972, was a small, inexpensive hatchback that came along just in time for America's first fuel crisis. This entry-level car was quickly recognized as the benchmark in its class by journalists, the auto industry and, most of all, the buying public. Each subsequent generation of Civic raised the bar for compact cars, leading the way in performance, refinement and fuel economy. Base Civic engines were the first to meet California's Low-Emission Vehicle (LEV) standards, and Honda offers one of the industry's only Continuously Variable Transmission (CVT) in its Civic HX coupe. The sixth-generation Civic, introduced in 1996, offered greatly increased interior space compared to the previous model, even though its exterior dimensions grew only slightly. Model year 2000 was the last year for the Civic hatchback. For 2001 The all-new, seventh-generation Civic enters was introduced with advanced safety and environmental technology, a larger, more refined interior and higher-performance powertrains.

Trim Details: The 2002 Honda Civic is available in seven trims: DX, LX and EX 4-door sedans; DX, HX, LX and EX 2-door coupes. Safety features include dual airbags, available side airbags, child safety locks (sedans only), and an anti-lock brake system (ABS), which is standard on EX trims. A 1.7-liter 115-horsepower engine powers DX and LX trims. The HX coupe receives a 1.7-liter 117-horsepower VTEC-E lean burn power plant. EX trims step up to a 1.7-liter 127-horsepower VTEC-E engine. All trims feature an AM/FM stereo, intermittent wipers, tinted glass, power steering, front stabilizer bar, and a 60/40 split-folding rear seatback. LX trims add air conditioning, cruise control, a cassette player, tachometer, map lights, and power mirrors, windows and door locks. The fuel-thrifty HX features an available Continuously Variable Transmission (CVT) and lightweight alloy wheels. Top-of-the-line EX trims include a power moonroof, remote keyless entry, a CD player, 15-inch wheels, a rear stabilizer bar, and body-color mirrors and door handles.
Want some more??? :rolleyes:
SOURCE: HondaCarPrices.com - 2002 Honda Civic 4 door Sedan EX Auto w/Side Airbags - Standard Equipment

MECHANICAL
4-speed electronically-controlled automatic transmission w/OD, lockup torque converter
Front wheel drive
MacPherson strut front suspension w/stabilizer bar
Independent double wishbone rear suspension w/coil springs, stabilizer bar
P185/65HR15 all-season SBR tires
15" steel wheels w/full covers
Pwr rack & pinion steering
Pwr front disc/rear drum brakes
Anti-lock braking system (ABS)
1.7L SOHC VTEC-E 16-valve I4 ULEV-certified engine
13.2 gallon fuel tank
Multi-point fuel injection (MPFI)

INTERIOR
Front bucket seats w/reclining seatbacks, adjustable head restraints
Manual driver seat height adjuster
60/40 fold down rear seatback w/lock
Driver armrest
Auxiliary pwr socket
Coin box
Front beverage holders
Rear beverage holder
Passenger side seatback pocket
Adjustable steering column
Illuminated ignition switch
Tachometer
Dual mode trip odometer
Maintenance interval indicator
Pwr windows w/auto down driver window
Pwr door locks
Immobilizer theft deterrent system
Remote entry system
Cruise control
Remote fuel filler door release
Remote trunk release w/lock
Air conditioning w/micron air-filtration system
Rear seat heater ducts
Rear window defroster w/timer
AM/FM stereo w/clock, CD player
Integrated rear window antenna
Dual visor vanity mirrors
Headlights-on reminder
Indicator lights-inc: low-fuel, low-oil pressure, trunk-open
Map lights
Cargo area light
Emergency trunk release

EXTERIOR
Pwr moonroof w/tilt feature
Body-colored impact-absorbing bumpers
Front air spoiler
Body-colored body-side moldings
Body-colored door handles
Body-colored pwr remote exterior mirrors
Tinted glass
Variable intermittent windshield wipers
Chrome trunk garnish

SAFETY
Anti-lock braking system (ABS)
Driver & front passenger side-impact airbags
Front/rear 3-point seat belts
Child-proof rear door locks
Child safety seat anchors
Adjustable front seat belt anchors
Emergency trunk release

FUEL ECONOMY
City 31/hwy 38 (1.7L VTEC-E engine/4-speed auto trans)
Want some more??? :rolleyes:
SOURCE: IntelliChoice CarCenter - Engine, Transmission, and Fuel Economy Report for 2002 Honda Civic

Engines, Transmissions & Fuel Economy

Available Engines & Transmissions:

VTEC-E 1.7L 4 Cylinder 127 hp Gas Engine STD

Transmissions:

4 Speed Electronically Controlled Automatic OD Transmission

Includes Brake/Transmission Shift Interlock. $730 $800

5 Speed Manual OD Transmission STD

Fuel Economy (city / hwy):

VTEC-E 1.7L 4 Cylinder 127 hp Gas Engine

4 Speed Electronically Controlled Automatic OD Transmission 31 / 38

5 Speed Manual OD Transmission 32 / 37...
The only difference between the 'new' HX and EX VTEC-E engines is a very slight difference in the cam profile - and I mean VERY slight. Rest assured, plain old VTEC died and was buried in 2000.
One sure-fire way to tell if it's a VTEC-E is to pull the valve cover. VTEC-E heads have rollers cams.

Convinced yet??? How about some TSB's? :D

Bulletins for 2001 Honda Civic EX Coupe L4-1668cc 1.7L SOHC (VTEC-E) MFI

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
god damn dude, nobody was trying to prove you wrong or anything, i stated several times in the above posts that i was ASKING a question so dont be dick.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
anyway, do you at all see how someone could be confused about what is in the car? i mean seriously...the damn honda website says both, and if they dont know, then what the hell are the consumers supposed to believe???

·
Registered
936 Posts
Whatever! Are you convinced, n00b???

1 - 20 of 24 Posts