1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
33,658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Ahahaha! D1GP is kicking GT4's tail in Japan! :eek :wow

Article courtesy of "Spriggan":

Stale GRAN TURISMO 4 sales in Japan

Via The Magic Box, the latest sales numbers from Japan have been released. Here are the top 10 games for the week of February 14-20, 2005. For entries with two numbers, the latter number represents total sales to date:

Devil May Cry 3 (PS2, Capcom) - 194,530 units
Dragon Ball Z3 (PS2, Bandai) - 90,911 / 517,807 units
Rumble Roses (PS2, Konami) - 73,935 units
D1 Grand Prix (PS2, Yuke's) - 26,286 units
Gladiator: Road to Freedom (PS2, Ertain) - 14,336 units
Gran Turismo 4 (PS2, Sony) - 12,863 / 956,680 units
Popolocrois: Pietro Ouji no Bouken (PSP, Sony) - 11,956 / 45,715 units
Catch! Touch! Yoshi! (NDS, Nintendo) - 11,591 / 120,669 units
Shinseiki Yuusha Taisen (PS2, Atlus) - 10,487 units
Everybody's Golf Portable (PSP, Sony) - 10,353 / 298,980 units

It's interesting to note that mediocre fare like Yuke's D1 GRAND PRIX, which barely received an average of 68% from Weekly Famitsu Magazine, outsold GRAN TURISMO 4 by a ratio of greater than 2:1.

Same with Konami's rather shallow (but fan service-heavy... see image below) RUMBLE ROSES, faring about the same, outselling GT4 by nearly 6x. The PSP and Nintendo DS games in positions 7, 8 and 10 are pretty much keeping pace as well.

I know that GT4's been out for a couple months now in Japan, so direct comparisons aren't really that fair. However, while nearly a million units sold (just in Japan) is nothing to sneeze at, it was in development for about 4 years, with a budget that had to have been astronomical.

Worldwide, I'm sure GT4 will make tons for Sony and Polyphony Digital, but I don't know if these numbers necessarily represent a blockbuster hit like we've seen with the DRAGON QUEST, FINAL FANTASY, and POKEMON series.

On the other hand, most companies would kill for the kinds of numbers GT4's posting.

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
Been playing for the past two days, and have not touched gt4.

I am thinking of selling my GT4 to one of my friends.

Doubt it will come here, but they do have irwindale for the D1 tourn.

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
JaySlide said:
y wouldn't you pay gt4 im sure the fun factor of gt4 is many times better than d1
Its cool, and all, but req. a little more sit down time than I have right now.

Still sort of disappointed in GT4.

I am one of those posers into the drifting thing.

Edit:

I still have the torrent if I can figure out how to host it.

·
Registered
3,921 Posts
///M3ssican said:
well that's because GT4 already has tons of sales :hehe
:stupid

It came out before the new year there... 2 months later I'd say that the "rush" to go buy it became stale...

The graphics don't look that hot... cool concept though. I could see how it could be a hit.

~Peace

·
Registered
969 Posts
IHIPrelude94 said:
:stupid

It came out before the new year there... 2 months later I'd say that the "rush" to go buy it became stale...

The graphics don't look that hot... cool concept though. I could see how it could be a hit.

~Peace
graphics dont look anything like that pic up there

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.