Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i've noticed when the automatic transmission changes gears, there is a huge jerk with the car. 1st to 2nd gear is the biggest jerk and the jerk is lesser at higher gears. think i should take this baby to the shop? i hope not, i only got 40 bucks under my name :X

gotta wait a week for my next paycheck, should i still drive it around?

· Registered
152 Posts
what year is your accord? i used to drive a 93 and that happened all the time..i was told that this was normal cuz it was an old car..but that information may have been mistaken. in the 93 it seemed like whenever u stepped on the gas it took forever for the car to excelerate and then when the gears switched the car would somewhat jerk...im also curious about this topic maybe someone can help us out..haha

· Registered
1,525 Posts
id take it to the shop but only get it fixed if its something major like somethings broken or not working right...if theyre just gonna service it like change the fluids or something i wouldnt do it...might be cheaper to do on ur own

· Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
hmmm i c

i have a 95 accord ex by the way. yeah, someone also told me that it was normal cause it was an old car but he's(my bro) not too reliable :X

also, thanks for the info guys

· Registered
241 Posts
I know when my Father had his 90-91 Civic Auto, it did the same thing. He drove it like that until about, oh '99. (then he tried to run it through a river, dumbass). The point being, he put over 150k on that car and the tranny gave him no problems other than that freakish gear kick (and technically, that was not a problem).

Oh, and one of his co-workers also had an older Civic Auto, did the exact same thing. Maybe it was just Honda Auto technology at the time.

-GothRice-

· Registered
99 Posts
it's all dependent on how the transmission is treated and whether or not if its properly treated. automatics aren't really made for racing, so if the tranny is pushed hard everywhere it goes then as it ages it's gonna act up. same as if you try to look cool and shift your auto. that's not what those gear settings are meant for. except for in extreme cases of a hill or towing weight (why the hell would anyone with an accord be in this situation?) d1 should really never be used, d2 is when you are going slow up a steep hill and you wanna keep it in second to keep the torque up, d3 is for city driving for those that want the extra "power" by not going into 4th gear and d4 or overdrive is for freeway driving or what normal people always use as it lets the computer decide whats best for your car. now obviously some autos are made to take a little more abuse (ie. autos in sports cars) and now some come with that special manu-auto option, but do you really think honda made civic and accord autos with the thought that kids would be mashing on the petal to do 20 sec. in the 1/4 mile? i've seen plenty of my friends try and race by shifting the autos in their parents' hondas and when parents drive it later they dun understand why it feels like shit after they let their kids use their cars.

· Registered
2,618 Posts
gear kick can be caused by a mis adjustment of the transmisisoni link in relation with the idle link. you know the cable that u can adjust your idle??? well if u follow it to the tranny then tehre is a cable there too...if that has too much deflection you can get that jerk...ever since my accident i havent adjusted it yet but latley i be getting higher revs...but i bet once i fix it again like i did befor eit will go a bit smoother..

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.