Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

· Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
sup yall...when the board shut down I was waiting on my drag turbo. I put it on, and the car ran like shit..eventually it wouldnt crank. Turnes out it had nothing to do with the turbocharger, just my distributer housing went bad. Then I had about 2 weeks of happy boosting @ 8psi, damn it feels real good. Only got one race (a gst) psssh..(he was stock tho). Now my car is having some troubles, it hesitates and i dont know why. I was throwing a code 43, but that went away when i replaced o2 sensors. I dunno, turbo is cool, just when you do more than h,i,e then you will run into some problems...ah well whatelse everyone been doing..indy,jfboy,rory..richie,whazup

· Registered
67 Posts
i hear ya..

hey, i know exactly what your talking about...ever since i put my greddy kit ive been having problems..car idle bogging, piston rings going, radiator blown, cel, car running good then shitty...i have to admit when it runs good its fun but other then that its a hassle..i think im planning on selling the turbo and just swappin in a new engine...if anyones interested holla

· Registered
484 Posts
hey blkdohcsol, what year and model is your sol? also, its a drag gen 3 kit right? who installed it? also, how did you do against that GST? how long was the race and how many car lengths did you win by? it was manual and all stock?

hehe cuz my friend has a 98 gst manual and is runnin 17 lbs of boost on stock internals and stock turbo, upgraded intercooler piping, hollowed out cat converter, 95 gst bov, and a k&N filter. he raced a 98 gsr w/a drag gen 2 w/ thermal turbo exhaust running 6 lbs or 9 lbs and the gst barely won. the teg won twice, and my boy in the gst won twice. if its a full 1/4 mile, the gst would lose by a car length or so.

let me know man, as the next step for my 94 sol vtec is going drag gen 3, but i need RELIABLE power. thanks bro. good to see you man.

peace

· Registered
484 Posts
oh yeah, btw, what mods do you have on your sol other than the turbo kit and how many miles do you have on your sol? also, whered you buy your kit from and for how much?

thanks

:)

· Registered
22 Posts
Luv My Turbo

No problems with my turbo, been over two months now. RevHard stage II @ 0.4 BAR (5.7psi), installed by JoTech in Garland, TX. It's still a mid 14-second car, mostly because of the stock auto tranny I've got. But it's a ton of fun to drive! You can read more about the setup (times, cost, etc) at my site: http://odin.prohosting.com/delsol94

Here is a picture of my baseline all motor (I/H/E B18B1) dyno versus my baseline turbo dyno:

URL: http://odin.prohosting.com/delsol94/AutoSol/dyno/baseline_vs_turbo.jpg
(the weird spike at 6100rpm in the baseline is b/c of the auto tranny)

For reference, here is a picture of my friends modified (I/H/E) del Sol VTEC (hope ya don't mind John):

URL: http://web.tampabay.rr.com/jaywcee/images/delsolcamgeartq.JPG
(ouch, look at the torque loss when VTEC is engaged!)

Needless to say, the turbo made quite a difference! It's like a whole new car. Still, I had a couple problems the first week I had my turbo.
(1) I stuck with the stock radiator fan. Bad idea, car started overheating during idle. Upgraded to the FAL fan, no more overheating at idle problem.
(2) Lower radiator hose busted. Maybe due to the heat caused by the turbo. Replaced upper and lower radiator hose (with new OEM Honda ones), flushed the coolant system and added a new coolant/water mix, no more problem.

I always let the manifold cool down to at least 350deg before turning the motor off (or let the turbotimer count down). The EGT gauge comes in handy for this. And I spray WD-40 all over the turbo manifold once a month (keeps it clean and helps prevent cracking).

In addition I've got the Vortech FMU and BOV, synapse map sensor (aka missing link), TiAL wastegate, and the "new and improved" RevHard intercooler -- all important parts in making a reliable turbo system (plus the radiator fan upgrade).

Read this about the synapse map sensor: http://www.synapseengineering.com/html/why_missing_link_.html
(And then buy one here:
http://www.nipponpower.com/forced_induction/missinglink.html)

As for the reliability debate... I used to think turbos were unreliable. For a daily driver, maybe NA is the way to go (not too hard to make 170-200whp N/A with a B-series motor). But I drive my turbo Sol daily, and I wouldn't think twice about taking it across country anyday (and it doesn't take much to bump it up to over 200whp with the stock motor). 5.7psi seems fine to me for daily driving....

· Registered
32 Posts
, just when you do more than h,i,e then you will run into some problems...ah well whatelse everyone been doing..indy,jfboy,rory..richie,whazup [/B]

Aint that the frickin truth. I had so many different problems since i installed my turbo. Took 3 weeks till i got everything worked out. From the O2 sensor, to the ECU, to the fuel pump, to the pressure plate bolts backing out. Had to pull out my whole tranny to retorque the pressure plate bolts. Then about a month after that i started to get the funky noise from my tranny again. Some bearing in the internals wore out. Had to replace that. I have taken my transmission out 6 times since i had the car. Thats gotta be some kinda record. Now i think in sqaured up for a little while. Just hooked up my boost controller last night and bumped it from 5 to 8 pounds. Gonna put it to about 10 but not yet. The Venom fuel rail i ordered i have to send back. They sent me one for 96-00 civic/del sol. So now im waiting on Summit sorry ass.:cool:

· Registered
525 Posts
I´ve seen turbos running 5 psi all day and not give any problems but once they are over 8psi then something starts happening specially in the gearbox like Slow_Arse_Sol said but that problem I have only seen with the D series engine and not the B series but since over here you dont see much terboed B series engines.

· Registered
7,597 Posts
Ivew been doing well waiting to score some VTEC rear LCAs to finish my parts list for my suspension install...

Neuspeed :
Rear Upper Strut Bar
Rear Sway
Race Springs
Neuspeed valved Koni Yellows

Skunk 2 front camber correction kit.

Already have:
Neuspeed Rear lower, front upper bars. Neuspeed front sway bushings. Soon to upgrade to a GSR/ITR front sway w/neuspeed bushings.
Rota Circuit 8s bronze 16x7 wrapped in Yoko Paradas 205/45

then Ill be doing paint and body. Then a turbo b20

· Registered
12 Posts
I know what you guys are saying about problems. There is a lot of hassel invloved in getting these four-cylinders to be fast, but they sure do have their moments!:) As long as the car is running( :( ) just pop the top and go for a drive to remember why you bought the thing. Try not to spend too much money guys...:D

· Registered
4 Posts
What's your management sys look like?

I think I have your problem.

What's your fuel and timing management look like? Do you have an aftermarket Air Fuel Controler? If so, is it set correctly? I personaly think that you're just not set-up correctly, or think you are, when in fact, you're not even close.

My advice, Hondata.

Go to www.hondata.com and go to downloads. Download the 30 meg file at the bottom of the page, and you'll see what I mean by "infinate possibility of refinement". With a good wide band o2 system and Hondata stage 3 boost tables, you can infinately tune your entire engine management system to the point where it'll almost start for you when you call it's name.

A good 90% of the time, problems like this arise due to improper tuning of the fuel and ignition tables in the ROM itself. Having your car set-up with a good fuel management system is the way to go in any electronicly injected engine of any make.

That's what I'd do, and have done.

Tim Wakeling
(corporate and Team signature purposely withheld due to request)

· Registered
948 Posts
Sup SOLers.... welcome back.

I have similar thoughts on my turbo.... :( I love it... but I blew my motor. BUT, I am gonna rebuild it soon. :D

As for making a reliable setup.... I've noticed the best way is to avoid boost syndrome. That is not knowing when enough is enough and not touching the boost controler. Then you have to TUNE THE HELL out of it. My car ran great till I decided that 130 mph @ 6,500 rpms was too low. I was racing a porche 911 and I took it all the way to 140+ @ 7,500 rpms- BIG MISTAKE. Never take a turbo car past the point it's been tuned. I learned the hard way when the car leaned out and I lost compression in cylinder 3.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.