Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Previous owner probably used Armor-All on the dash alot and basically its way too shiney. What is good to clean dash with that makes it more matt than shiney?

·
Registered
3,154 Posts
Get the non-shiny Armor All.

·
Premium Member
13,998 Posts
Make sure you strip that old armor all. Yeah too shiney a dash can throw some mega glare into your eyes while driving. Its really annoying on some cars.

6:1 woolite/water solution could help. Then go in and apply a matte / dull vinyl protector.

·
Registered
4,146 Posts
get some window cleaner thats safe for tint windows and spray and it will wipe right off. it will also not streak it. just make sure u have a soft small towel and wet it down a little bit then wipe off and do it once more and it should me the orignal gloss :number1

·
Registered
4,146 Posts
coppa playa said:
use the mcguires quick detailer on your dash. Leaves a dull gleam with no glare and last for weeks
that will have wax in it which is not good for plastic and will cause the dash to dry out in time and cause cracks. beleve me or not its ur car

·
Premium Member
13,998 Posts
SpecalK said:
that will have wax in it which is not good for plastic and will cause the dash to dry out in time and cause cracks. beleve me or not its ur car
I think hes talking about meguairs interior quick detailer.

http://www.meguiars.com/store_meguiars/product_detailpage.cfm?sku=G-136&store=meg

--

Also windex on your vinyl sounds a bit iffy as well.

Generally a fabric detegent like woolite which is easy already is better for your interior. 6:1 ratio also makes it very light. This is enough to take off any residues while gently removing contimates from the vinyl.

Its a great tip Ive picked up from scottwax.

·
Premium Member
13,998 Posts
SpecalK said:
ya i know about it but i like the window cleaner for autos
You mean automotive windex? I have that stuff I think you might be able to use that on dashes and stuff as well. Ill have to look into it. If so good tip. But any tint safe window cleaner probably wont be so hot.

But this might be the stuff I think your talking about.

·
Registered
4,146 Posts
mike_sho said:
You mean automotive windex? I have that stuff I think you might be able to use that on dashes and stuff as well. Ill have to look into it. If so good tip. But any tint safe window cleaner probably wont be so hot.

But this might be the stuff I think your talking about.
ya because armol all will cause the dash to crack over time, its does not allow for it to breath like it needs to much like fresh paint, so automotive windex will break down the armol all and will take it off it of restoreing ur orignal finish. And after that i would only use a damp cloth to knock off the dust and dirt.

·
Registered
864 Posts
I use Meguiar's Natural Shine on the dash, vinyl sides and wheels. But now I've been using the NXT Insane Shine on the wheels, pretty nice stuff. I sprayed it on, later the day I washed the car, and the tires were still glossy :tu

·
Registered
2,850 Posts
i just use the regular old Mequiar's Gold Class Vinyl/Plastic protectant spray, i have always been satsified with that.

as far as removing old protectant, i know that rubbing alcohol will work, but you need to make sure that you immediately spray on new protectant, because the alcohol will dry the shit out of your plastic. alcohol might also mess with the dye on your vinyl, so don't use a whole lot if you go that route.

·
Registered
392 Posts
i would try to remove all the old Armor All and then use the Meguiar's NTX Cockpit Shine, it leaves a nice shine at first and then dulls down a bit so there is no glare, plus it smells good. I used it about 2 weeks ago on my car and it still doesnt have as much dust as before and its not full of glare

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well, between Meguiar's NTX Cockpit Shine, Mequiar's Gold Class Vinyl/Plastic protectant spray, meguairs interior quick detailer and Meguiar's Natural Shine, which leaves the least amount of shine?

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
mike_sho said:
I believe there is a armor all with matte finish. That is a low shine formula.
but the problem with armor all is that it's water based. It will basically dry out and crack your dash over time (think about it like if you keep licking your lips, they eventually become chapped).

I like to use that Black Magic stuff, or the NXT stuff...neither of those contain water, so by using it I am actually protecting my interior. But I also like a bit of a shine, and both of those have that.

·
Premium Member
13,998 Posts
WillyG said:
but the problem with armor all is that it's water based. It will basically dry out and crack your dash over time (think about it like if you keep licking your lips, they eventually become chapped).

I like to use that Black Magic stuff, or the NXT stuff...neither of those contain water, so by using it I am actually protecting my interior. But I also like a bit of a shine, and both of those have that.
I heard those myths or armor cracking stuff is not true. But seems you have some valid points. Ill look into it.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts