Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Quick question: I'm installing a a Dc Sport header and a straight pipe (inplace of CAT) on my 94 Integra GSR. There's no place
to re-install the O2 sensor. Do I have to tap a hole into the
straight pipe for the O2 sensor??? If I don't plug it in, what
exactly would happen?

· Registered
177 Posts
On a 94 GSR the O2 sensor is on the cat, right? If you remove the o2 sensor (removing the cat) I would think you should install it in the straight pipe.:eek:

· Registered
110 Posts
Tuan he was asking what does he do with the O2 sensor since the cat won't be there. I believe the O2 sensor is in the front of the cat. If you don't plug your O2 sensor in you will throw a code and the ECU will advance/retard your timing accordingly. Poor performance is in your future if you think you can just not plug in the O2 sensor without some additional work. Tuan will probably be able to elaborate a little more on how you can get around this. I know with OBD II you can eliminate the second O2 sensor with a sensor simulator that's only $25. I'm not sure how you would go about doing this on an OBD I.

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hey guys....thanks for any and all input. I've been so swamped with work I haven't had the time to crawl underneath my car yet.
I was hoping to gather some info before hand, so as to be more prepared. I purchased a DC Sport 4-1 ceramic header AHC6607.
That lil booger does not have a "tapped-hole" for a sensor to plug into. Tuan says the 94 gsr is the obd1 engine which has only one front sensor. Does that mean this Dc sport header should have an O2 hole fitted on it? If the sensor goes into the CAT, I can certainly have the straight-pipe fitted with a sensor-nut box. That'd be much easier then welding on that lovely looking DC header. Or if there is a way to bypass the sensor with a "simulator", I'd be happy to purchase one of those.

If you guys want to tell me...."wait to ask questions AFTER you've been under your car"....please feel free too. I'd completely understand. I hope to be able to work on it Tuesday. =)

· Registered
110 Posts
Dougswub said:
Hey guys....thanks for any and all input. I've been so swamped with work I haven't had the time to crawl underneath my car yet.
I was hoping to gather some info before hand, so as to be more prepared. I purchased a DC Sport 4-1 ceramic header AHC6607.
That lil booger does not have a "tapped-hole" for a sensor to plug into. Tuan says the 94 gsr is the obd1 engine which has only one front sensor. Does that mean this Dc sport header should have an O2 hole fitted on it? If the sensor goes into the CAT, I can certainly have the straight-pipe fitted with a sensor-nut box. That'd be much easier then welding on that lovely looking DC header. Or if there is a way to bypass the sensor with a "simulator", I'd be happy to purchase one of those.

If you guys want to tell me...."wait to ask questions AFTER you've been under your car"....please feel free too. I'd completely understand. I hope to be able to work on it Tuesday. =)
Yeah on the 94-95 Integra the O2 sensor goes in the cat. Since you're effectively removing the cat, you have nowhere to put a sensor. A test pipe eliminates your cat, which you already know, but your ECU will still want to see your emissions being the same as if one was there. If you do put the O2 sensor in your straight-pipe, your engine will retard accordingly to how much more emissions the O2 sensor is detecting. I'd use a simulator for sure. There's a good article at team-integra found here: http://www.team-integra.net/sections/articles/showArticle.asp?ArticleID=25 . That says for OBD II but you can get a simulator for your car too.

· Registered
110 Posts
You won't throw a code with the O2 sensor in the testpipe? Is this because on OBD I cars the sensor is in the front of the cat, so in effect it only measures the emissions from the header? So technically there'd be no cat but you'd still measure the emissions right after the header? Thus, there'd be no code thrown and no engine retarding? I was wondering about that since your article only talks about OBD II, and I knew the O2 sensor was at the front of the cat.

· Registered
220 Posts
GSR said:
You won't throw a code with the O2 sensor in the testpipe? Is this because on OBD I cars the sensor is in the front of the cat, so in effect it only measures the emissions from the header? So technically there'd be no cat but you'd still measure the emissions right after the header? Thus, there'd be no code thrown and no engine retarding? I was wondering about that since your article only talks about OBD II, and I knew the O2 sensor was at the front of the cat.
With OBD1 you can put it any where you feel like it. On the collector, after the cat, on the b pipe, who cares, as long as it's in.

No CEL.

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
wooohooo!! I installed the header and straight pipe. What a friggin chore. The backend of the CAT was welded to the exhaust pipe(or so it seemed). I had to cut through the 3-bolts and break it apart. I was able to get an O2 sensor box welded into my straight pipe for $10. Works like a charm. I installed an OBX short shifter while I was under there. Damn, if it didn't fit correctly. The bottom piece wasn't wide enough. I would have to fabricate 2 sleeves on either side of the bearings to take up the slop. Oh well...my fault for ordering off of ebay. lol
Anyhoo...thanks for all the tech tips guys.

Now my next project is deciding which exhaust system to purchase. I'll be ordering one in the next week or so. I don't care about the sound or look, just want the best performance for the buck. Any suggestions?

Doug
94 Integra GSR 4-door

· Banned
2,834 Posts
Now my next project is deciding which exhaust system to purchase. I'll be ordering one in the next week or so.
I don't care about the sound or look, just want the best performance for the buck. Any suggestions?

One Suggestion in general, no more OBX and like style stuff. You get what you pay for, and Murphy was an optimist.

Check out a few poste here in the teg forum about exhausts and catbacks heres one just a few lines away:

http://www.superhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=9667

Look deeper into the next few pages and use the Search function. It IS your friend.

A.

· Banned
2,834 Posts
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.