Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, after 3 months of deliberation, I decided that I'm keeping my CRX, and I'm going to work on restoring it. As far as the outside, and most of the interior, it's going to look like a brand new, dead-stock CRX. Obviously there will be some decent performance goodies underneath, like a SOHC ZC, coils, etc... But the car is going to look stock right down to the rims. I plan on having them repaired, if necessary (I think they're pretty good), and refinished, etc. I'd love to hear some thoughts. :D

Since the whole reason I had to go through this thought process was some jacka$$ breaking into my car and stealing my head unit, (avoiding the thousands of dollars of other things in the car,) I'm going to go factory 'looking' with the radio. Anyone have any thoughts on the factory-look of the Nakamichi head units? With an aux in, I don't need it to be MP3, sirius or ipod ready, so I'm just worried about the look, and the pure sound of it.

They punched my locks when they broke in - so I was considering doing the lockless door handles that you see on ebay, and just using a decent aftermarket alarm for keyless entry, and obviously the alarm aspect as well... I figure if the alarm fails, I could always enter through the hatch, right?

So, if anyone has any cool ideas that they never got to put into motion because their cars are too 1337, let me know...

Brakes are on the way. I was going to do the whole type-r suspension thing, but I scrapped that. Brakes (for now) are coming by way of some Brembo drilled/slotted rotors, and Hawk HPS pads. Got a great deal on the setup. I'll do a rear disc conversion some other day when I'm back on the east coast with all of my tools! Brakes came first on the list, because of the fact that I've made 3 trips from IN to NJ and back on my stock brakes, which were squealing when I started this adventure...

So yeah, thoughts would be MUCH appreciated!

Oh, and sorry to the true purists... My car is red right now, but I plan on doing it black or gunmetal when I get to that point... Sorry, but I've just never been a fan of red cars.... Except for Jadkar's, of course! :aww

Edit: If anyone has any interior pieces they don't need, check my reply in the FS thread, I probably need it! Thanks!

·
Registered
2,734 Posts
For door handles without the lock cylinders, use the rear handles from an '88-91 Civic 4-door.

Forget the slotting and drilling and other crap on the brake rotors. Save yourself some cash and just buy a set of blanks.

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
turbotious kid said:
i think it sounds like a good idea trying to keep the crx almost 100 percent stock. there arent much of those around anymore.
imo a stock crx is worth more than a swapped and gutted crx...which in turn raises the possibility of it being stolen

first liek u said i would worry abotu ur alarm...and ur gonna need power door locks for the alarm to be able to control them, cuz without a servo motor, how is it going to unlock ur door? magic?

if u get a good alarm then i wouldnt worry abotu keeping it stock unless thats how u like it, i woudl say a nice sohc vtec swap would be great or just a b18a1 too

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
As far as the rotors, I planned on getting blanks, but I ended up getting a phenomenal deal on these, so I bit. Rotors and Hawk HPS pads for $120 shipped, can't beat that. Tire rack wanted $150 shipped for the same with blank rotors, and I couldn't really find anywhere with a much better deal than that... For less money, I'll go for the "better" stuff. They can't be worse, right?

And, yeah, I know all about the alarm and door lock situation, but that's easily fixed with some $5 door lock actuators. But, I'm not worried about the CAR being stolen, at least not right now. I'm worried about all of the jackasses out here who will do thousands in damage to a car to get to $5 in BLING! With a perfectly dead-stock looking CRX, I think my chances of that happening are reduced to just about 0.

And yeah, I'm not keeping the car stock because that's necessarily what I like, but more to keep a REALLY low profile, and to avoid spending a ton of money. If it wasn't stock, it would be full, no-compromise JDM, period, and I don't have the cash for that. :D

And also pride, I did mention a ZC swap in there. It'll get a junkyard turbo setup eventually, but power isn't really what I need right now. Besides, with just about 20% more HP than stock, a SOHC ZC will make a good noticeable difference, I'm sure. I don't have the time, money or ambition to get into VTEC swaps or anything, which is why I'm keeping it simple with the drop-in SOHC ZC. :) But yes, the stock CRX may be WORTH more... But it doesn't LOOK like it's worth more, so the stupid people who prowl the streets at night will be none the wiser.

Targa - Thanks for the tip about the door handles! That definitely saves me from dropping the $40 on ebay for stupid door handles! :D

The next step after the brakes, though, will be the tires and interior. I'm hoping to do the tires in a couple of weeks... Going for the new Falken Azenis RT-615's, since I've heard nothing but phenomenal things about them, in a 195/60R14. I hope to get most of the broken interior replaced at around the same time.

Next will be the door handles and alarm, which will be cheap and easy. I think more theft prevention will be added in the manner of 'nothing visible worth stealing', but I'd just feel better spending the money. As it is I look outside every time I hear a car door shut, etc!

Shortly thereafter will be the ZC swap. I'd love to do it ASAP, but I need to find a good shop in the area to do the swap, and to do it as quickly as possible. Do you guys think 2-3 days for a ZC swap is a good estimate, for an experienced shop? And does anyone KNOW of an experienced shop in the Indy area? And I'll be doing the exhaust at that point too. Something nice, quiet and stock-looking, running probably 2.5" pipe, so I don't have to redo that when I go turbo.

After that will be a headunit, since I haven't heard the radio in 3 months thanks to those a$$es.

Then either reupholster or replace the stock seats with a better stock example.

Once those things are done, I'll worry about making the rest of the car nice. There's just too much that I HAVE to do right this second to worry about the stuff I WANT to do, unfortunately.

Replacing the bushings, probably some Omni-power coils to get a good setup but keep the cost low, etc. No carbon fiber, no bling at ALL. Not that I don't like it, but I refuse to do it with the experience I've had out here so far. The last thing I need is to try and leave for work in the morning and come outside to a missing hood!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts