Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

Del Sol Transtop Metal Gears

2K views 12 replies 5 participants last post by  shailoche 
#1 ·
hi, guys i've been searching everywhere for those so called metal gear but its useless all i can find is aged references or old thread talking about them but nothing in concrete, even the del sol hk forum doesnt even have a record of them from what i could see, anyways i thought maybe in this forum where there are at least some old posts refering to them there someone who still knows where to get them... i would hate if the info is easy to find because i used the search button like a hundred times with different keyword so please dont be so mean hehehe...

thanks in advance, maybe your going to be helping a lot more people than just me....

ps. great forum btw... lots of info:number1

#3 ·
you can go to a turner and do it for you,but i don't recomment that because i read that those gears are plastic for a reason.if something goes wrong in the tilter unit,the plastic gears brake.But if something goes wrong and the gears are made of METAL,what will happen?eventually something else will brake

#4 ·
Im betting its more of a safety issue. Since there is a chance someone is holding their had by the latch while waiting for it to lift, if their fingers are in the way, the gears break instead of cutting off fingers. Dont really see any other reason. Worst case the gears jam and burn up the motor, well those gears would only jam if the teeth broke from dry rot and ended up between gears. So if there are no broken teeth to jam the gears, then no need to worry about them breaking on purpose. Catch #22

#5 ·
i guess, but, also if it is an electronic mechanism... why would your fingers be in the way of the gears? in that case i think ninju is closer to the money... maybe you know how corporations always "seem" to mistakenly make bad choices based on "what's cheaper".

i've seen it work (not mine because its broken... yay! xD) and i can't imagine why would anyone would try to interfere in between the process so i just want them for extra longevity, its really.. well extremely hard to get replacements where i'm from in Venezuela (anything for that matter since my dear government doesn't want me importing things from you bad bad Americans hehehe).

#13 ·
If you really, really, really, really wanted metal gears they wouldn't be hard to replicate into metal. Any good fabricator could easily take the dimensions of those gears and reproduce them in steel. Getting them in aluminum, titanium, or magnesium would be a bit harder since not all shops work in all metal types.

As a matter of fact I had a company in Austin, TX manufacture me a magnesium sprocket for my Triumph Daytona T595 back in 2003. I wanted the sprocket color to match the magnesium rims on my bike and the only way to do it was by having the sprocket made from the same metal. They did it for like $700.

At this point in time I would bet that any company that possesses a CNC machine could mill those out in like a day. It would also seem that they would be fairly cheap too...under $200. But that is way more expensive that the plastic parts.

With all that being said, I think that there is a reason why they are not made in metal to begin with. I brought this up back when Kabooki first replaced the gears. He made a great point in saying that those gears are designed to fail before any damage can be done to the top, motor, or human hands.

Who knows...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.