Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im looking at getting new plugs for my lude and did some reserch on the ngk and denso plugs..i went to the denso site and stumble across a dyno they did on a civic which gain 13.5hp just from there spark plugs...this is pretty damn impressive.. almost to good to believe...what u guys think..heres the link...http://www.densoiridium.com/dynochart.php?id=2

·
Registered
22,822 Posts
I would just like to see the civic that was putting out 501hp :clap

·
Registered
63 Posts
lol.. its a crock of shit...

their baseline was probably the lowest numbers out of multiple pulls, probably heatsoaked, and really really REALLY old copper plugs. Any fresh set of plugs could have had the same results at that point. Many companies that do dyno plots to show the "performance gained" do the same thing. They use a old abused beater beater, drive the hell out of it and dyno it when its in terrible shape. They then do a tune up, change the oil and voila, 15whp.

edit: oh thats even better, a race prepped civic? Who knows if they just decided to run the baseline with a conservative timing, then run an agressive timing for that one run.... plugs are plugs... they arent magicical horsepower adders, however they WILL restore lost HP if your plugs are in terrible shape to begin with.

·
Premium Member
13,998 Posts
Check out this article, not sure if you have seen it yet.

Spark Plug Tech Guide:
http://www.superhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=129793

In short I have tried everything and the denso iridiums are the best spark plug you can get right now basically. At least definently for the price. Not sure about it VS all the performance companies plugs. But they beat out all other ones that you can buy in local automotive stores.

I dont know about 14hp. But they give you better mpgs , starts , less detonation , quicker acceleration and just an overall enhanced motor feeling. With even a slightly different sound.

·
Registered
571 Posts
plugs

yeah it is crap the best gains should be around 1% with a fresh set of plugs

·
Registered
63 Posts
^^ and that 1% isn't what you're gaining, its what you're getting back from having old plugs....the iridium fad is just good marketing.... changing plugs are rediculously easy. Between iridium, platinum and copper, the latter is the best conductor, however copper is the least resistant to the heat/pressure in the combustion chamber. Changing plugs is a chore on a boxer engine, but on the H series, its a 5 minute job, so doing it often isnt a big deal.

In the broad scope of things, the only thing you really need to pay attention to is the gap and heat range. The design of the cathode comes into consideration when you are making HP in the 1000's. Cars (especially Hondas) are not backfiring or bursting into flames due to plug design... nor are top fuel-ers breaking into the 3s because of a well designed plug or because of the metal being used.

As a car enthusiast, you just need to make sure the plug is well suited (in terms of heat range and gap) for your motor.... and stop throwing money into the pit of hyped up spark plugs! (RE: Lame ass HKS plugs)

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
mike_sho said:
Check out this article, not sure if you have seen it yet.

Spark Plug Tech Guide:
http://www.superhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=129793

In short I have tried everything and the denso iridiums are the best spark plug you can get right now basically. At least definently for the price. Not sure about it VS all the performance companies plugs. But they beat out all other ones that you can buy in local automotive stores.

I dont know about 14hp. But they give you better mpgs , starts , less detonation , quicker acceleration and just an overall enhanced motor feeling. With even a slightly different sound.
yes, i have seen it, good read...and here are the other cars that they dyno with there iriduim plugs if u guys are intrested....if these number are true than boy these are some spark plugs....http://www.densoiridium.com/tunerstales.php

·
Registered
4,134 Posts
when we're talking about plugs I listen to whatever Mike says.

·
Registered
845 Posts
maybe the car that was tested was only running on 3 cyls?. other then that its bullshit. peace.

·
Registered
964 Posts
ive had gains like that from a full ignition, going from old broken ripped wires to new msd coil box wires and plugs i gained i think 10hp, i have the dyno sheets somewhere

1 - 13 of 13 Posts