Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In a turbo car, What causes detonation?? Is it when your running not enough fuel and too much air and it causes an explosion?? or is it your not havin enough spark to burn all the fuel so, fuel keeps building up and evenually blows??? I dunno, can somebody tell me??

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
detonation is when you get your combustion way before the piston is all the way up to tdc. So you see, your mixture ignites (this could be a result of different things) and pushes on your piston, while your piston is still trying to go up. Result is craked ringlands, burnt pistons, bent rods, etc etc.

Detonation could be too much fuel, engine too hot, timing too advanced, etc etc.

·
Registered
936 Posts
gob_2k said:

Detonation could be too much fuel, engine too hot, timing too advanced, etc etc.
I think u have it the other way around. I've never seen a car detonate with too much fuel, but i have with too little fuel.

·
Registered
8,520 Posts
usually results from running to lean (not enough fuel in the mixture). My friends turbo crx hasn't had time to be tuned yet, so he runs really rich just to be safe.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
O man, that's bad. I guess i'm in some shit right now. :idiots:
If ya'll read my other post, ya'll know why.....

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I did run with the missing link, but my cousin said my detonation might have been b/c of the missing link. missing link is doesnt the ecu let out too much fuel right? so since i'm running with the missing link, I didn't have enough fuel with the turbo so cylinder 1 detonated?????

·
Registered
106 Posts
detonation is when you get your combustion way before the piston is all the way up to tdc. So you see, your mixture ignites (this could be a result of different things) and pushes on your piston, while your piston is still trying to go up. Result is craked ringlands, burnt pistons, bent rods, etc etc.
you just described preignition. not detonation. good job.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Detonation is the uneven burning of the air/fuel charge. It is usually due to a hot spot in the combustion chamber. These hot spots can form due to carbon buildup in the combustion chamber surfaces, among other things.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts