Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a ghetto-rex. Needs ignition "tumbler" (that's what my dad called it, its the piece you physically put the key into and ity allows you to start the car.) I can currently Start this car by flipping a switch and then inserting a key (any key...) and turn this thing that's white and has wires connected to it to turn over the engine. (it appears to be the device at the back of this supposed "Tumbler") When i turn it back an 1/8th of a turn the heater will work. Also, i need to install new door locks since the "key" i have won't lock the doors. my question is this:
Can someone point me to a DIY of how this is done? I need to know how to hook up the new ignition "tumbler", and also know how the door locks install. I'm new to CRX's but not to the 88-91 civic crowd. However, I've never had to replace any of these parts before, so i'm virgin on this. LOL. :rolleyes

· Registered
28 Posts
the ignition switch that the key goes in needs to be replaced get one from your local honda dealer it will come with new keys...i know i did one on a newer honda and i gave them the vin and they had keys cut for the original ignition wich was also the doors, not a big deal you just use 2 different keys to get in and start the car..first off i would trace that fire hazzard you have hooked up and get rid of all that, the new igtion switch should clip in to a 3 prong connector (acc, run, start) hope this helps

· Registered
874 Posts
the ignition switch that the key goes in needs to be replaced get one from your local honda dealer it will come with new keys...i know i did one on a newer honda and i gave them the vin and they had keys cut for the original ignition wich was also the doors, not a big deal you just use 2 different keys to get in and start the car..first off i would trace that fire hazzard you have hooked up and get rid of all that, the new igtion switch should clip in to a 3 prong connector (acc, run, start) hope this helps
that is correct, im not sure but i have heard they can make your keys and remake your ignition based on the VIN number, but you need to go to a good honda dealer

thats all the help i can be, sorry

· Registered
233 Posts
i'mma have to go with the first guy and go to the junk yard. what you need from tehre is an old car like yours get the following items off the car. ignitioin switch, driver and passenger and trunk locks and then take the ignition to a locksmith and have him make a key for you through that and install them all and there you go you have all the same locks and ignition for your car thus you not having to have two keys

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.