Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, Me being a fool this time...
I drove to work this morning but was an hour and a half hearly so i decided to take a nap in my car until it was time to go in... But i forgot to turn off my lights and i had the radio on during that hour and a half. When i woke up, i realized what i had done so i turned off everything and tried to start it up, it would not start but i would hear a ticking noise when i turned the key... then i put the key in the 2 position and the radio said CODE... I punched in the anti theft code and the radio went on... then a little while later i tried to start her up, you could hear like the car was tryin to turn over but the engine would not start... a while later i tried to start it up again and the car started but it was a bad start though..... does this mean the battery is ok now?? do i need a new battery??

·
Registered
4,479 Posts
Probably just drained your battery down. Drive the car around and let it charge up the battery. If nothing else goes wrong it should be okay. You could always take it to Autozone and have them test the battery.

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
check all ur fuse first before u do anytihng and see if one of ur fuse blown. it happen to me and it was the fuse that cause the plm. CHeck the fuse under the dash board and in the engine bay.

IF all is fine, then take ur battery for testing. If the battery is fine, then make sure all spark plug is fine and wire too. if all is fine, then i'm guessing it would be ur starter. remove the starter and take it to autozone, then if it is fine, then it has to be inginite coil in the distributor cap.

Just narrow it down one at the time.

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
also, dont try to crank it soo much if u can't get it to work cuz u'll cause more more plm to ur distributor. crank once for each testing.

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
Use a DVOM and measure your battery voltage at the battery terminals while cranking. If it drops below 9.5 volts, the battery doesn't have enough juice to start the motor.

If this is the case, either fully charge it or buy a new battery.

·
Registered
10,923 Posts
I had my orginal battery for 6 years before it wouldn't
"hold a charge". How old is yours? During the last few
months, (on the original battery), I didn't drive the car much, and I guess the alarm, radio, clock, etc. would
always drain the battery. Until, one day, after a good night
of charging, the car just wouldn't crank.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts