Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
819 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey hows it goin? Well today I finished painting my stock lip, side skirts, and apron. I used dupli color adhesive promoter, paint, and clear coat. The thing Im wondering is if I used enough clear coat. The finish looks good but its not as smooth as I was thinking it would be. Im wondering if the 2 coats of clear coat was enough. Do i need more coats or thicker coats to make the finish as smooth as the rest of my car? Oh and should I add an enamel finish after the clear coat? Please let me know wassup. Thanks..

·
Registered
454 Posts
I could be wrong but you should wet sand it and then add one more coat of clear coat.

·
Registered
819 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well I got rid of the roughness of the finish. I sprayed 2 more coats of clear coat and finished it off with a flex enamel. Buffed it a little too. Its more glossier and smoother than it was but not as good as the factory finish on the bumper. Oh well. Pretty good for my first time I think. LAte.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Use shit products and get shit results... don't ever spray paint anything and think that its gonna come out good

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
Mitchb71 said:
Use shit products and get shit results... don't ever spray paint anything and think that its gonna come out good
Amen to that

and it chips easy too. A lot easier than a professional job

·
Registered
819 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Its been about a month since I put my stock lips back on and no chips at all. Only one scratch from scraping on a steep driveway but a little touch up paint fixed that. Been getting props for my work so Im not complaining.

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
hmmm good job then iguess ... there was a guy on here a while back who painted his sideskirts ... his car was white and from far away it looked professional but he said once you got up close you could see the difference.

·
Registered
123 Posts
yea keep adding clear coat... that way when it chips it chips good, then if your lucky it might even crack for ya.... LOL. Im a painter at a collision center, You are only supposed to put two coats of clear on ANYTHING>>>> anymore and your asking for trouble. So you truthfully need to know what you are doing before you start painting.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
i paint also and 2 coats is usually plenty. then if it has any orange peel or trash in the finish it can be wet sanded and buffed.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
there is way more to painting than most people think. and paints bought in spray cans are not the same grade of paint that a body shop would use. a shop has to mix paints, reducers and catalysts along with flexing agents and a number of other chemicals. like certain reducers for certain temperatures so that the paint dries at a certain speed and finish. just be careful with the krylon.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts