Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i was looking for some dvdr's but then i saw a box of dvd-r and one of dvd+r....both were made from the same company and both were same price soo....can anyone tell me the difference?

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
different formats. some stand alone DVD players can play one but not the other.

·
Registered
3,522 Posts
i believe the dvd-r is the most supported formats for the dvd players and stuff out there. but then i heard that dvd+r is winning the standard battle. oh well i use dvd-r to burn dvd movies and games. it works perfectly.

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
there is no real difference, just different name, however some burners will burn only one type, especially the earlier burners.. I guess there are some minor differences, but they both have the same storage capacity, and both are compatible with about the same percentage of DVD players/drives (about 95% of them), so in my eyes they look the same

·
Registered
269 Posts
Just 2 different formats, Dell, Microsoft, Philips seem to back the DVD+R. Pioneer backs the DVD-R. (there's more that back the DVD-r, just can't remember).

just so you know, media brand does not mean anything.

·
Registered
7,597 Posts

·
Registered
390 Posts
dvd-r WAS winning the format race but dvd+r is winning right now. yea dell, compaq/hp, gateway, phillips n some other company support the + n the two major company that support the - is panasonic and sony/toshiba. sony will offer +/- on the newer product but will go to + sooner or later.

i would go with + because they will b offering a duel layer format disk that can hold 8.x GB next year. n also they write faster.

if i was gonna buy a dvd burner, i would find one that can write on both format

·
Registered
269 Posts
AutoCivic said:

i would go with + because they will b offering a duel layer format disk that can hold 8.x GB next year. n also they write faster.

Philips is coming out with the + 8.53GB, whereas Pioneer is making the Dual-layer DVD-R 8.5xGB http://www.hwsupport.com/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=918

also, TDK has the armor plated DVD-R, i have a few of those. Expensive, yet reliable.
http://www.tdk.com/corp/tucpress/armordvd.html
http://www.meritline.com/tdk-dvd-r-2x-armorplated.html

·
Registered
7,597 Posts
Slashdot: The Most Compatible DVD Format: DVD-R

Pioneer invented DVD-R
Sony invented DVD+R

Since the original DVD technology was invented in joint by Philips, Sony, Matsushita and Toshiba they recieve royalties on the common parts of DVD recorders. The two formats are virtually the same, so as to retain compatibility in playback, the optical blocks are no different from each other. There are minimal differences at the electronic level. Changing the firmware could almost change a DVD-R writer into a DVD+R writer.

Sony's inclination to support DVD+R is just a profit maximizing stragey. Alot of the major manufacturers are going with DVD+R because they can get the drives cheaper making they're computers less $$$ to produce. Why buy a $135 DVD-R when you can get a Lite-On clone for $75. It has less to do with drive standard and more to do with $$.

I forsee -R/+R drives in the future. If your going to get a dual format I'd go w/ pioneer since they're known for their reliability and sony is notorious for their obscenely horrible tech support.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts