Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's the difference between cold air and turbo? Like you can't have "cold air" and a turbo on the same car can you? Cold air takes cold air from through the bumper and a turbo just heats up the air and feeds it through, so the turbo just cancells out the point of having a cold air.. Is that true? Feed me some knowledge, I'm a bit new to this stuff so this probobly seems like a stupid question.. So how does that work?

·
Registered
3,077 Posts
Yes your can have both. Think of it this way, would the engine rather pull in cold air or hot air? Where is their cooler? Behind the radiator in the engine bay( where most idiots put a filter on their turbo, or worse yet chicken wire over the turbos compressor wheel) or routing some piping into the fender well and sticking a filter on it there?

Essentially that would be adding a "cold air intake" to your "turbocharged engine". The colder the intake temp is the more compression it can handle before it reaches a temperature where your fuel will auto ignite. Not only that but 80 degree air rising to 800 degrees will produce more pressure( horsepower/torque) than 300 degree air rising to the same temp.

A lot of people don't have the room to do this without relocating their battery, which most people don't do. So they just do it the lazy way.

·
Premium Member
29,826 Posts
it depends on the setup and where you turbo is located. but a pipe with a filter with give you arguable gains... turbo engines respond differently than n/a engines. few extra degrees of cooler air don't really warrant going with a cai setup. just get a vented hood and head wrap the manifold and get a turbo cover. it's easier to cool after the intake on a turbo car than to worry about pooling in some "cooler air". there would have to be one helluva drastic change in air temp for you to really feel anything. besides intake pipes get heat soaked anyways negating most of their effects once you get up to temp anyways.

·
Registered
3,077 Posts
it depends on the setup and where you turbo is located. but a pipe with a filter with give you arguable gains... turbo engines respond differently than n/a engines. few extra degrees of cooler air don't really warrant going with a cai setup. just get a vented hood and head wrap the manifold and get a turbo cover. it's easier to cool after the intake on a turbo car than to worry about pooling in some "cooler air". there would have to be one helluva drastic change in air temp for you to really feel anything. besides intake pipes get heat soaked anyways negating most of their effects once you get up to temp anyways.
lol you've seen some of those idiots run a dump tube just down to the oil pan and not put its exhaust back into the normal exhaust system? ontop of that those extremely tiny cone filters people put on their turbo, they obviously wouldn't be able to pull 300 CFM without insane restriction, not to mention their location behind the intercooler, radiator and power steering cooler/oil cooler*. That's what I was really targeting.

Even if the pipes get heat soaked its not that big of a deal, the air rushes through there pretty fast when your really on it. i doubt it has a chance to heat up much. I'd much rather batt relocate and run a CAI setup to avoid any potential heated air from the radiator/intercooler. A good vented hood does do wonders though.
*if equiped.

·
Premium Member
29,826 Posts
lol you've seen some of those idiots run a dump tube just down to the oil pan and not put its exhaust back into the normal exhaust system? ontop of that those extremely tiny cone filters people put on their turbo, they obviously wouldn't be able to pull 300 CFM without insane restriction, not to mention their location behind the intercooler, radiator and power steering cooler/oil cooler*. That's what I was really targeting.

Even if the pipes get heat soaked its not that big of a deal, the air rushes through there pretty fast when your really on it. i doubt it has a chance to heat up much. I'd much rather batt relocate and run a CAI setup to avoid any potential heated air from the radiator/intercooler. A good vented hood does do wonders though.
*if equiped.
you don't gain as much as you think....even the wrx's see more of a gain from inter cooler relocation than doing anything with a "cai" it really depends on how inefficient the original setup was. CAI is negligible at best.

·
Registered
3,077 Posts
you don't gain as much as you think....even the wrx's see more of a gain from inter cooler relocation than doing anything with a "cai" it really depends on how inefficient the original setup was. CAI is negligible at best.
If it ever comes around to it I'll try to do an intake temp test when the honda is all geeked out. Best outlook on it is fall of this year, and realistic outlook is fall of next year(accord that is.)

BTW wrx's intake their air from outside the engine bay in their stock form.

I agree it wouldnt make a whole lot of difference, but it does help. How much it helps depends on how cramped up everything is.

Inlet air temp shouldn't be much over outside temperature, but having the filter right behind the radiator leaves the car at the mercy of how efficiently your car evacuates hot air from its engine bay.

To me though... if your going to go through all the trouble of installing a turbo on a engine not originally equiped with one... then why the hell not route some intake piping to a better location for your filter rather than just sticking it on the turbo itself? its just silly to me heh, all that time spent, then none spent on the little things that make things better for very little cost.

·
Premium Member
29,826 Posts
ok there is some confusion here. i'm not saying slapping a filter on your turbo is the way to go but i'm saying that a cai over a sri isn't going to give you the massive gains that you kind of imply with a turbo setup. it really depends on the turbo setup and location... intercooler has more noticeable effect than a cai....

·
Registered
3,077 Posts
lol. Didn't realize you were refering to SRI locations rather than immediately behind the intercooler/radiator. - which is where so many people see to mount their damn filters, jsut screwed down to the turbo. Hell IF they even do that. Those giant vacuum cleaners suck up all sorts of dirt.

Chicken wire is not an adequate filter :)

I do agree that a well placed SRI is just about as good as a CAI, and the gains wouldn't be much if any, even when turbos are considered.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts