Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i dont understand the difference between 2,4,6, and 8 ohm subs.which is the best sounding and what is the overall difference?im planning on getting the jl audio 12 w3v2,i dont know how many ohms i should get.any help is appreciated.thanx

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
wow..this is going to be hard to explain.. first off...there wouldn't be any sound quality differences if a sub was 2 ohm or 8ohm.

the ohm ratings are there for wiring options and how to get the best out of your amp. its very confusing at first.

how many subs do you want? do you have an amp in mind yet?

·
Registered
841 Posts
Depending on what the sub manufacturer/designer did, there can be some small differences between models with different coil confings....go check out the old JL W3's, and you will find that each model (same size, but with different coils) have different Xmax values.

Typically, I would say that these differences are fairly negligible. Find out what amp you are using, how many subs you want, and you can work from there.

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
2KVTEC said:
im goin for one 12 wired into rms 300watt amp rated at 2ohms
im lookin at rockford fosgate or kenwood and such
the rms for the 12 w3v2 is 300rms 600max 2ohm speaker
If it's stable to 2 ohms you'll need to grab yourself a dual 4 ohm sub. There is a link at the top of this forum with tutorials on wiring schematics that should tell you all you need to know if you are going to do this yourself. :D

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
2KVTEC said:
hey are u gonna send me the lip? u gonna rip me off?

·
Registered
3,254 Posts
2KVTEC said:
I am pretty sure rf and kenwood is only 4 ohm mono stable. find out. you will need dual 2's if the amp is 4 ohm mono.

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
acuradriva said:
I am pretty sure rf and kenwood is only 4 ohm mono stable. find out. you will need dual 2's if the amp is 4 ohm mono.
I think RF might be 2 ohm stable, but it is going to run very very warm. VERY warm.

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
VTECnicalAccord said:
I think RF might be 2 ohm stable, but it is going to run very very warm. VERY warm.
don't they run warm enough already?:p speaking of warm..my profile amp at 2ohm gets kinda warm, but it never shuts down on me!:) oh how i love so call "cheap" brands.

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
VTECnicalAccord said:
Well yeah, but some people like to have the option of frying a T-bone on their amp after the get home, LOL. :D
yea...the new rockford amps have special grill. lol..you can link the end caps together to create a 10 feet grill:p

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
GSteg said:
yea...the new rockford amps have special grill. lol..you can link the end caps together to create a 10 feet grill:p
LMAO. I hear they have a non-stick surface and come with a marinating tray for meat, a BBQ brush, RF BBQ sauce, tongs, and an RF apron, LMAO. None the less, they're a decent amp for the money.

·
Banned
846 Posts
2KVTEC said:
so should i get a 4ohm sub?
First thing to remember is that most subs nowadays are DVC (dual voice coil)

Dont try and label the sub as a 4-ohm sub.

If your amp is stable and makes the most power at 2-ohms, you have a choice.

You can get a Dual 4-ohm and wire it in parallel, OR a dual 1 ohm and wire it in a series.

if your amp is 4-ohm stable like also stated, you could get a dual 8-ohm and wire it parallel or a dual 2-ohm and wire it series.

hope this isnt too confusing. If it is, just let me know and ill try and explain it better.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
ok,better off could anyone help me out and find an amp that ouwld match this subs specs...

jl audio 12 w3v2 Nominal Continuous Power Handling: 300 Watts

Available Configurations: Dual 2 ohm, Dual 4 ohm or Dual 6 ohm

actually would this amp work well?
jl audio amp 300/2
Rated Power (stereo):
150 W RMS x 2 @ 1.5 ohm-4 ohm
(11V-14.5V)
Rated Power (bridged):
300 W RMS x 1 @ 3 ohm-8 ohm
(11V-14.5V)

how many ohm sub should i get for this amp?

·
Registered
435 Posts

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
how many subs are you going to get? if you're getting one...a dual 8 ohm would be good for the JL 300/2 amp.

if you get a single dual 2 or 4ohm sub..a JBL 300.1 would work well with it.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.