Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Changed the oil today (02 Accord EX - I4) and put in 4.5+ quarts of oil, nearly 5 QTs. The oil level on the dipstick wasn't between the two dots tho, near the bottom one. Should I top it off in the morning to get it between the two dots? I shouldn't be using 5 full quarts should I?

· Registered
231 Posts
your fine as long as its a little over the bottom dot...u might as well fill up a little more because over a period 3 months or 3000 miles (how often you should do an oil change) some oil is going to burn and evaporate...

· Registered
137 Posts
how long did you let it sit before you checked the level, and was it on level ground? when you pour oil in from the top of the engine you have to let it seep down to the oil pan to get an accurate reading. Check it in the morning to see where the level is and then decide if you need to add more

· Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks, I will check it in the morning.. After bringing the car down off ramps, and running it for about 2 mins, I checked the level.

Ouch, bottom dot -> top dot = 1 Quart? How many quarts do people usually use?? I would think 5 Quarts would be the limit.

· Registered
2,618 Posts
dont go over the reconmended value. to much oil will kill the balance of ur engine and ur oil pump is going to go bad.

· Registered
208 Posts
AccOrDZteCh said:
dont go over the reconmended value. to much oil will kill the balance of ur engine and ur oil pump is going to go bad.
that sucks for me. i put 3.5 qt in for my oil changes, and when i check oil at gas station, it is above top dot! what am i doing wrong??? owner's manual says 3.5 for oil change + filter. btw, i have a 92 Si.

· Registered
2,618 Posts
thats weird...man having oil over ur line...did u clean it up one time and then stick the dipstick back in to get a good reading??? was it level?? check it now...what id do is i drain it and since u need 3.5 quarts i would put 3 quarts and then drive around...this way u wont have to little or too much oil and then if its too low then u can add more.

· Registered
208 Posts
AccOrDZteCh said:
thats weird...man having oil over ur line...did u clean it up one time and then stick the dipstick back in to get a good reading??? was it level?? check it now...what id do is i drain it and since u need 3.5 quarts i would put 3 quarts and then drive around...this way u wont have to little or too much oil and then if its too low then u can add more.
yeah, i cleaned it and read it after cleaning. you are supposed to read the oil level with the engine warmed up, right?

I am pretty sure that the concrete they put down at gas stations is level, but I think I even got an over reading in my garage, which is level for sure.

I think I will try that since too much oil is definitately no good.

thanks for advice

· Registered
525 Posts
no , the engine has to be cold, thats why i thought it was weird, because i jus changed my gf's 2000 i4 accord and put 4.5 and that was perfect.

u always check the oil cold, because after u drive it, there is oil still in the top of the engine, making your reading inaccurate.

when its cold, the oil is all on the bottom, since u put 4.5 , check tomoro monring, it should be perfect, or only off by a bit, not like a whole quart as u stated earlier! hope this helps man

· Registered
208 Posts
u always check the oil cold, because after u drive it, there is oil still in the top of the engine, making your reading inaccurate.
So, then, why is my reading high, when I check my engine warm?

It should be low, if you are correct.

Owner's manual says 3.5 w/filter for my 92 Si. If I put in 3.5, how could it be above line when it is warm? That is too strange.

· Registered
2,618 Posts
ur right of the engine being cold but still when you first put the oil it has to circulate though the filter also.

well think of it this way..if u got 3.5 quarts then your fine haha. even 3.1

· Registered
525 Posts
maybe not all the oil came out the last time u changed it. but u are supposed to check it when its cold. also u stated that its above the line, its bad too have too much oil , a little is ok, but if its alot, it puts more stress in the lower oil seals of the engine. so check it out tomoro morning, see how much its over the line.

· Registered
208 Posts
Stripes777 said:
maybe not all the oil came out the last time u changed it. but u are supposed to check it when its cold.
I think that makes a lot of sense, but I was following the service manual's instructions for changing oil, and it always say to change it at the running temp. That seems off now. Thanks for help, I am gonna go check it right now!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.