Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is the thing... I've never seen this in my life!!! I tried wiring both fans (condenser as well as radiator fan) directly in a series circuit using one switch, but when the car was turned on the voltage dropped from 13.9 volts to 11 volts. I've never seen so much draw of current by just these two connections. My thought is that the by having both fans in series it increases the current draw. :mad

I'm browsing relays and I'm wondering if any of you guys have any idea of how to run these two fans at the same time without drawing so much current. :confused

Any good ideas? Thanks in advance!!!

·
Registered
444 Posts
ya... my CRX is set up that way. Here's the short version: random engine temp climb, like serious stuff, 10 seconds up to red but very random. Finally my friends at their shop figured out it was the fan cutting out now and then. The odd thing was that my car ALWAYS ran both the radiator fan and the AC fan even if the AC was off, which should not happen yeah? The best we figured was that there were some wires fused together. My guy wired the fans away from the main harness, just directly from power to fans, avoiding the bum wires burried somewhere in the car. I don't know the details, sorry. So it's kinda yankee-garage style, but I have reliable fans in the CRX now. They are on all the time, regardless of thermostat or engine temp. It takes longer to warm up in winter, but it was the easiest thing at the time. I'm not sure how this info helps you, but just to let you know it can be done.

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
DrivinVtec said:
so it was 13.9 off then 11 on? talking about the car that is.
Well, the voltage when the car is off is read from the battery so approximatelly 12Volts. When the car is turned on the alternator generates potential and the voltage reads 13.8Volts. ;)

Sodikai said:
ya... my CRX is set up that way. Here's the short version: random engine temp climb, like serious stuff, 10 seconds up to red but very random. Finally my friends at their shop figured out it was the fan cutting out now and then. The odd thing was that my car ALWAYS ran both the radiator fan and the AC fan even if the AC was off, which should not happen yeah? The best we figured was that there were some wires fused together. My guy wired the fans away from the main harness, just directly from power to fans, avoiding the bum wires burried somewhere in the car. I don't know the details, sorry. So it's kinda yankee-garage style, but I have reliable fans in the CRX now. They are on all the time, regardless of thermostat or engine temp. It takes longer to warm up in winter, but it was the easiest thing at the time. I'm not sure how this info helps you, but just to let you know it can be done.
I have it in the arrangement you say, but the voltage drops pretty low ... so low that it could harm the battery.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts