Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just curious, because I really don't wanna do an engine swap, but what are the disadvantages of the F22 engine? I couldn't find a thread on is so I'm asking. :D

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
many disadvantages of the f22: 1. its an economy motor, built to maximize fuel economy 2. its not as responsive to bolt on as other Honda motors ie. h22/b16a/18c/f20c/b(but its not like you will gain huge power with bolt-ons with the engines I listed) 3. its not willing to rev due to its long stroke design

advantages of f22: 1. very dependable 2. SPEND A COUPLE OF THOUSAND DOLLARS ON IT, IT WILL MAKE HUGE POWER ie. forced induction, mind you with proper tuning and strenghening of the bottom end

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
H22 is a good engine to swap into the h22 because a stock h22 can make anywhere from 40-70 extra hp over the f22/23 depending on the h22 you choose. the aftermarket support is greater with the h22 than the f22. and then its a DOCH VTEC that revs to 7100rpms stock.

·
Registered
6,716 Posts
integraboss15 said:
im gonna stick with the f22 cause too many people take the h22 and drop it in. I like being different.
No, too many people talk of it, fewer people actually do it.
You can pound the f22 all the way to about 6.5k rpm but there is no point to doing that since peak power is at about 5500k

·
Registered
6,716 Posts
solsykness said:
h22 simply owns the f22...but I've seen a couple of boosted
f22's that were putting down some decent numbers...
true and not true. For the money spent on a f22 motor, buildup, turbo you could have a h22, swapped, and a slight build or turbo. The F22 would last longer and make more power.
If you have all the money in the world needed to build the h22 then yes the h22 would own the f22 hands down. Dollar for dollar though you cannot refute that the f22 motor itself can handle a beating when hooked up to turbo and will put down more power too.

·
Registered
3,780 Posts
You're talking 130-140hp versus 190-200hp stock.

The disadvantage is its crippling lack of horsepower and bolt on potential. Performance-wise, an H22 is always better. But H22s are not quite as reliable. They burn and leak oil, and some people have problems with passing emissions. When I had a '99 F23 non VTEC Accord, I had a smog check at 140,000 miles. The pollution levels were MUCH lower than the legal limits I don't know whether it was for sulphur, NO2, or CO, but some of the results were between 0 and 2 ppm when the limit was 40 to 80. The guy running the test said that it was like a brand new engine and that an error message on the computer asked him to verify the mileage. When I had my B18C smogged at 70k miles, I'm pretty sure the mechanic tweaked the results so that I would pass because some of the levels were right on the limit. The engine was never beaten on, unlike my Accord.

It goes to show how reliable the F22 is, even though it is crappy performance-wise.

·
Registered
5,788 Posts
TSM_Pikachu said:
true and not true. For the money spent on a f22 motor, buildup, turbo you could have a h22, swapped, and a slight build or turbo. The F22 would last longer and make more power.
If you have all the money in the world needed to build the h22 then yes the h22 would own the f22 hands down. Dollar for dollar though you cannot refute that the f22 motor itself can handle a beating when hooked up to turbo and will put down more power too.
when you're talking about forced induction, ANYTHING is possible. As long as the build up is done correctly and you don't skimp on the tune. I may not be aware of all the pro's and con's that you accord owners know about, but stock for stock (no FI) I'd go with the h22 all day everyday as I'm sure most ppl would. I'd like to think that the h22 would respond better to simple mods than the f22 would. Besides, it's more of a performance oriented motor :eek: I feel as though there are far too many variables to simply say that the f22 would put down more power. If you were to spend the SAME amount of money and get all the same parts etc., etc., etc...the h22 would own the f22...but in the REAL world, no two ppl are going to be running the same setup, same tune or anything of that nature...so really it's unfair to make such statements. So simply put, the h22 in my opinion is the BETTER motor.

·
Registered
6,716 Posts
solsykness said:
when you're talking about forced induction, ANYTHING is possible. As long as the build up is done correctly and you don't skimp on the tune. I may not be aware of all the pro's and con's that you accord owners know about, but stock for stock (no FI) I'd go with the h22 all day everyday as I'm sure most ppl would. I'd like to think that the h22 would respond better to simple mods than the f22 would. Besides, it's more of a performance oriented motor :eek: I feel as though there are far too many variables to simply say that the f22 would put down more power. If you were to spend the SAME amount of money and get all the same parts etc., etc., etc...the h22 would own the f22...but in the REAL world, no two ppl are going to be running the same setup, same tune or anything of that nature...so really it's unfair to make such statements. So simply put, the h22 in my opinion is the BETTER motor.
If anything is possible then your whole statement about both motors is null.
By the way if you recall bisimoto has the built one of the fastest SOHC motors in the import world, he tried an h22 dohc but went back to the sohc and still holds the record.
You would go h22 possibly from all the hype and talk, or maybe not and that is totally on you. However since you do not know all the variables of the accord then you really should not speak in such matters anyway. REAL World as you wish to call it, you need to sit down and not pay attention to hype. Unfair is a personal matter you need to deal with, however since you insist on your philosophy of being almighty with the h22 accord you do not have you have no arguement. Peace out homie.

·
Registered
6,716 Posts
By the way judging from your list of mods, you dont really have much in the accord anyway since you have a delslow........of which you put DROPZONE fake wannabe coilovers on.....d1 fenders on a car not capable of anything close to d1.......there is nothing custom about eagle alloys except your spraypaint.........that bumper is just stupid and looks retarded and various other things we wont go into.

·
Registered
6,716 Posts
flyingtoaster said:
You're talking 130-140hp versus 190-200hp stock.

The disadvantage is its crippling lack of horsepower and bolt on potential. Performance-wise, an H22 is always better. But H22s are not quite as reliable. They burn and leak oil, and some people have problems with passing emissions. When I had a '99 F23 non VTEC Accord, I had a smog check at 140,000 miles. The pollution levels were MUCH lower than the legal limits I don't know whether it was for sulphur, NO2, or CO, but some of the results were between 0 and 2 ppm when the limit was 40 to 80. The guy running the test said that it was like a brand new engine and that an error message on the computer asked him to verify the mileage. When I had my B18C smogged at 70k miles, I'm pretty sure the mechanic tweaked the results so that I would pass because some of the levels were right on the limit. The engine was never beaten on, unlike my Accord.

It goes to show how reliable the F22 is, even though it is crappy performance-wise.
You can find disadvantage in anything if it is stock, the point is that the only real downside is speed or the ability to leap to it with miniscule work. You could do turbo on the f22 very easily if you study a bit, hell you could bang it out in half a day, for someone who studied an h22 you could prolly do the same but then troubleshoot some ish too afterwards.
If money were no object then of course you would go for h22 and all the bells and whistles but that isnt the point. THe point is what is the downside to f22 since he didnt want to swap. Only downside is stock power, that is all. Everything else which actually matters is outstanding in reliability, durability and you still have room to push it furthur and retain your reliability. Try trashing around an h22 like you would an F22 and you will soon be very angry at the side of the road.

·
Registered
3,780 Posts
TSM_Pikachu said:
You can find disadvantage in anything if it is stock, the point is that the only real downside is speed or the ability to leap to it with miniscule work. You could do turbo on the f22 very easily if you study a bit, hell you could bang it out in half a day, for someone who studied an h22 you could prolly do the same but then troubleshoot some ish too afterwards.
If money were no object then of course you would go for h22 and all the bells and whistles but that isnt the point. THe point is what is the downside to f22 since he didnt want to swap. Only downside is stock power, that is all. Everything else which actually matters is outstanding in reliability, durability and you still have room to push it furthur and retain your reliability. Try trashing around an h22 like you would an F22 and you will soon be very angry at the side of the road.
I know its off topic, but is there going to be a meet today?

·
Registered
3,780 Posts
TSM_Pikachu said:
Yeah, I was really happy with my F23 and didn't know it could handle so much power. When my auto tranny went, I had the option of having Al swap an H22 manual or getting a B18C Integra. I'm glad I got the Integra because so many people seem to have reliability problems with the H22.

·
Registered
6,716 Posts
flyingtoaster said:
I know its off topic, but is there going to be a meet today?
Nope, trashed that fuckin idea a few days ago. Like a bad relationship too, response was a joke on it and since this site underwent so many changes in the past 6 months everyones interest in this site seemed to take a huge dump too.
I'm really not surprised at how little dedication people have anymore. Last year was the best meet you would have seen. The only way it comes back that good is if the old members come back and want the meets. Right now they dont.
I'm also focusing on building my site and forum, they want a meet and greet type of gathering so it may occur...........it will take time though.

I could try end of summer meet this year for SHO, combined with my site........could work alright i guess.........we'll see

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.