Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found a great alternative to silverstar ultras. Liked them but got tired of them burning out so fast and having to change them so often. Found solux bulbs that have increased performance (80% brighter, natural daylight color of 4600k, high contrast, longer beam, etc.) but also maintain the longer life hours similar to standard halogens (which translates to 2x-4x longer than ss ultras). I replaced low-beam, high-beam and fog lights and really like them a lot - I can see much better and my eyes don't get as tired at night. So far, so good...

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cool info.
Thanks! I do want to stress though that these are not intense white/blue bulbs. They're more daylight color. My goal was to see better; not change appearance of the vehicle. I really do like them a lot though.

·
Registered
3,077 Posts
check out Daniel Stern Lighting Consultancy and Supply

This page will give you the info needed to make sure you get the most out of your headlamps. We re-wired my buds headlights with relays. Soo much better.

Also Meguiers plastX does work, however you need to do several treatments for foggy lights. If anyone doesn't believe me I'll proove it. :)

I used to think it sucked ass, we used it on my buddys 626 and it did hardly shit to the lenses. Well it just takes a while to get the crud off. We tried it later(like 2 years later) for around an hour of polishing and had good resuslts. I used it several more times over the course of a week and now the headlamp is clear as glass.

Its almost like you have to let it sit after the 1st session and then come back every other day until its good and clear.

·
Registered
5,269 Posts
I used to buy 'eBay seller from Japan', non-DOT compliant, low-beam ultra-blue bulbs for my Honda Accord. I don't know why the right one would burn out faster than the left one. I don't bother anymore. I just get regular GE bulbs now.

·
Registered
3,077 Posts
Simple answer: the bulb experienced more heat on that side.

Now telling where the problem originated from thats a bit more complex.

Unequal wiring, headlamp ventalation could be different due to the cars aerodynamics. the housing itself may not be the same as the left side. Who knows.

The best you can do is check for voltage drops in the circuit, make sure the bulb is cleaned with 90+% isopropl alcohol before installation and use bulb grease as this can help wick away heat- not just seal the electrical connections from air.

Also many manufactures don't "tin" their headlamp connections. make sure those connections are soldered for optimum performance.

·
Registered
5,269 Posts
I don't have the Accord anymore.
I always use gloves when I install bulbs so the oil from my fingers don't touch the bulb. I didn't have aftermarket headlight assemblies, just stock OEM. When I switched to GE bulbs, the bulbs lasted a long time. I don't bother with custom-looking light bulbs anymore. I think that was a phase I went through of trying to be a ricer. Altezza taillights, clear corner markers, PIAA licence plate hyper-blue bulbs.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I used to buy 'eBay seller from Japan', non-DOT compliant, low-beam ultra-blue bulbs for my Honda Accord. I don't know why the right one would burn out faster than the left one. I don't bother anymore. I just get regular GE bulbs now.
My friend is a cop and he says he has a field day with blatently illeagal headlights...just gives him yet another reason to pull people over and hit his quotas. Just not worth it. I'm still very happy with the solux bulbs I installed but again, they're not attention getters, just better light so I can see. I've never been flashed by oncoming traffic yet I can see way better.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts