1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys I got a problem here... So here goes:
Car:
1992 Honda Civic - 4dr - DX - 1.5L

Problem:
About 2 days before my problem happened my car's power would cut out for a split second while driving in high gears at low RPMs. I've be going about 50 in fourth or fifth and it would every now and then cut out and then come back.

Now about 2 days ago my car will not start. It turns over, but that's it. At first i thought it was my fuel injection. So I took off the line that goes into the fuel rail to see if gas was getting to it - and it was. So that, as far as i know, eliminates the fuel theory. So then i thought that it might be my distributor/spark plugs. Although my spark plugs and wires are brand new. I took one of the lines out along with the spark plug and laid it on a grounded surface and tried to start the car. There was no spark on the plug. So i'm assuming that means there is no power getting to my spark plug.

So then I i took off my Distributor cap and found that there is a little bit of corrosion but not much at all. Then i thought that it might be my ignition unit (not sure if thats what its called but its behind the distributor cap) or my coil. I tried to take it off to get to the ignition unit but the screw is stripped so i'll be trying to do that tomorrow.

So all in all i was wondering if there are any other types of troubleshooting i could do?

Any help would be great - if you need more info just let me know and i will do my best!

Thanks!
Vel

· Registered
11 Posts
Get a manual or download the info on troubleshooting a coil and an ignitor. Basically you have to measure the resistance across the primary and secondary windings of the coil and check the voltage at the ignitor. Takes like 5 minutes. Let me know if you can't find the info, I have a factory manual for a 93 civic kicking around somewhere

· Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
alright well, i bought a new distributor. And now i am getting spark to my plugs. Which is good.. lol

But it is still not starting.. it sounds like its almost going to but this it goes back to just turning over.

When i try and start the car i can smell gas.. is this a sign to what i could be?

I was thinking it might be a sensor or something like that... any ideas?

· Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
so.. weirdest thing happened..

When i took my car to the garage on friday to see if they could find out what the problem was. They said that when the went to look at it.. it started up just fine...
But when i had taken it in it didn't start at all.

Very odd... They figured there was just bad gas or something...

Who knows ^_^

· Registered
3 Posts
95 Civic distributor problem please help?
I have a 95 civic the distributor keeps dying, the coils inside keep breaking. the car has new spark plugs, new grounding wires everywhere, new spark plug wires, everything is changed. but the distributor coils just keep dying. The car would run fine for a few hours or so, and then die, as in wont start anymore. could this be the timing? how can i solve this problem? THANKS SO MUCH !

· Registered
10,346 Posts
It was prolly flooded from you trying to start it

next time you have trouble like that, hold the throttle open a little bit when you crank it, teh extra air that the motor can get will help it overcome being flooded when its trying to start

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.