Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all

for those of you that have an irradic idle and are annoyed with it heres how you clean and fix the problem.

IACV = Idle Air Control Valve

step one: locate your IACV it looks like this and on D series engines its mounted on the rear of the intake manifold near the throttle body, and on F series engines its mounuted towards the front of the car on the intake manifold near the throttle body.

Step two: remove it, all you need to do is take the 2, 12mm bolts out, disconnect the electrical connection, and your heater lines that run to it. (note put a rag on the heater lines so it doesnt spill everywhere)

Step three: take some brake cleaner or carb cleaner and spray out the screen, which as you can see is very clogged on my 180K+ D15b8.

NOTE you can also take off the bottum part and inspect the gasket to make sure its clean and dirt free, and in my case it was

Step four: Let it dry, then reconnect your electrical connection, your heater lines, and your bolts and BAM your done.

Hope this helps some of the noobs out there

capn

·
Registered
2,618 Posts
nice, i have a DIY for the 4th gen and 5th gen accords...just to let people know.

good writeup..

·
Registered
694 Posts
AccOrDZteCh said:
nice, i have a DIY for the 4th gen and 5th gen accords...just to let people know.

good writeup..
car to post pics :sleep

cuz my car has a weird idle sometimes, almost like there is a vaccum line d/c. and my idle sits high then drops occasionally. then goes back up. and then sometimes its fine.

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
theforeman said:
car to post pics :sleep

cuz my car has a weird idle sometimes, almost like there is a vaccum line d/c. and my idle sits high then drops occasionally. then goes back up. and then sometimes its fine.

what series engine do you have?

·
Registered
6,836 Posts
yea my piece of shit sedan does that to, but it seems like when i get on the gas, it likes to stumble. i changed the plugs and distributor cap, with no results, so looks like im going to the store to buy some cleaner

·
Registered
2,618 Posts

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
theforeman said:
f22b1

and thanks for the posts accordztech

is that diy i sent ya working at all.
ok thats the same engine my friend had and we did it, and accordztech shows you where it is its the same procedure as i showerd you

·
Registered
2,618 Posts
i do it every 3k...it takes like 20 minutes...good luck dudes and good writeup

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
EGoutlaw said:
Thanx for the info. I did that in 5 min. Works great, Thanx again. :btu

no prob im glad to see my DIY Threads are still a use to everyone, and i havent been on here in like a year, ever since i crashed the little civic

·
Registered
524 Posts
i just did this on my 91 crx si. the 2 hoses attached to this thing were a bitch to get off after i removed the clamps, so i cut them. the hoses are long enough so you can still reconnect them to the valve no problem. just cut off a little though. i used simple green to clean it and it work wonders. good diy info.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My 93 Accord EX with the fluctuating RPM at idle issue (worse during warm weather). I replaced the O2 sensor on the exhaust manifold, tune up, fuel filter, and cleaned the IACV. After cleaning the IACV, the issue got worse. I was told there was another O2 sensor. However, I traced the exhaust pipe, can't find any more. I am at a loss. :bash Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts