Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
17,396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I had this in my mind for a while now,
I have APC short-ram I got from my friend that sounds damn nice.(me no ricer)
and found out what the difference between AEM and mine were.

AEM: Heat threated, coated, perfect fit-ment, K&N filter head
APC: coat w/o heat-threated, not a perfect fit-ment, blah filter?

I think it was mrmyz or UltraMeg said AEM is heat threated so the piping doesn't get hot.
so, I figured, why not make mine heat-threated and suck in more colder air.
and i did it over a long time.

first, I washed the pipe twice, first with mild soap and scrub any where i can, then washed off with water.

and then I went a head and took the clear-coat stuff off with Steel Wool

after scuffing the whole pipe out-side, I washed it agian with soap for painting process.

The sprays I used. (the spray on the right is the same stuff I used on my badge :p)

make sure the pipe is completely dried before spraying the primer.

that's two layer's of primer. I loved the look of it just primed, but it had to be heat threated.

and then the heat-threatment stuff

and yeah, I got bored with my strut bar box :p

well, this took me 4 hours from washing to final spray. I'll have to wait for a day or two to let it dry complete, and then I'll post up the reasults how it really works :D

yeah..not really a DIY, but I thought I'd post it b/c no one done it yet on SHO.

·
Registered
17,396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
gold/red? interesting color choice.
looks good! thank god all my DIY's are being put up to awesome use for others.

DIY Intake Heat Threatment
DIY V1 Hard-Wireing

awesome! I just died doing stuff to my car due to the winter. but I will reasume with in 2 month or so with some "real" money DIY stuff :)

·
Registered
17,396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
mrmyz said:
how much did the whole thing cost you to make i remember i suggested for you to diy this one good work on it when ever your bored just pick up an extra peice of piping and you can convert it to cold air
Spent time = 4 hours
Primer spray paint at local hardware store = $3
Black Spray paint at local hard ware sote = $4 (high heat thurmo stuff?)
Steel Wool = already had bunch at home but it will run you about $2 dollor for 8 pack.

total of $10 after tax and such. nothing harm-ful.. gotta remember, i used about 1/4'th of black spray paint on this badge i did while ago.

as far as CAI goes, I am not really into it since it rains alot and bad roads and such. I will remove my resonator box while I am doing my black-housing over the spring break, and maybe i'll be smart enough to find a housings around so the air can be shot up from the position of resionator box was.
thanks agian mrmyz :) :number1

·
Registered
17,396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
in long run, yes.
but i don't drive hard any ways. it just sucks in cold air for longer time then the normal's would.
colder air the better. F23a1 isn't much of a "fast" engine any ways. so i don't even try.
this DIY's purpose is for those who bought eBay style intakes which just comes with
regular aliminum piping and filter.

·
Registered
17,396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
wesside said:
A couple pics aren't showing up first page. I might do this to the hotshot intake I just got for my car.

why hotshot? cuz I got a hotshot cai for my wifes 99 g20t and I like it, plus it was a discounted item there making new finishes now.
thanks for the heads up.
SHO photo host's file names has been changed, and plus, these pics are from 5 month ago, keep that in mind.
I let my Intake go to my friend for free.
I want a quiet ride for while now i guess.
I'll keep on posting more DIY's in near feature :clap
oh, post your pictures too if you've done my DIY :)

·
Registered
17,396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
WillyG
did you use Primer paint?
if you did, you shouldn't have had problems that bad.
but anyways, BBQ spray is designed to stick to the grill, which is steele, but it's still a metal just like Aluminum is.
my best guess you didn't spray the piping right.

Any ways, Just use the stuff I used, and you shoulnd't have any problems. :)
BTW, POST PICTURES OF YOUR FINISHED PRODUCT!!!11one!!!uno!111!

·
Registered
17,396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
I used primer with the fact you posted :)
and of course the intake piping won't be getting hot, so I didn't even bother, just wanted the paint to stick better.
Any ways, I like Apexi Air Filters better.
here is some Comparison Pics :)

Hope that helped :)
COMON NOW!! PICS DAMNIT!! PICS!!! :ahh

·
Registered
17,396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
FYI: that picture is over 3 years old. so it's whole different story on pricings.
Any how, cleaning the fliter:
Run it under HOT HOT water, and dry out good. :) and re-oil if the instruction says so.

why can't you people just do the way I did and not go through all these trouble? :ahh
a can of spray don't run you over $5 at most, and plus, you want to use plenty of paint like I did so your paint doesn't peel off :ahh

·
Registered
17,396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
bigjoe53 said:
aiight i'm gonna do it this sunday and take pics....i'm gonna let it sit in my garage for 2 days then slap it back on the car and take some more pics...and and excuse the dirty engine bay...lol :hehe
:btu

I will have more DIY's here soon, very soon.
be sure to check out my other one if you ever get a v1 :)

·
Registered
17,396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
EA_D17A2 said:
I have AEM v2.... Would you recommend to spray over with a heat resitant paint?? I know they're already treated, but if i were to spary it would that further reduce the heat under the hood???
my feed back.

This whole DIY was to make a replica of AEM intakes.

so, don't do it.

if you want to reduce further heat problems, get a heat shield. :)
where? search, don't ask me.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.