Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
21 - 40 of 89 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
so how did you do the badge? i may be getting gunmetal grids with the silver lip so i am thinking of painting my badge

·
Registered
17,396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
in long run, yes.
but i don't drive hard any ways. it just sucks in cold air for longer time then the normal's would.
colder air the better. F23a1 isn't much of a "fast" engine any ways. so i don't even try.
this DIY's purpose is for those who bought eBay style intakes which just comes with
regular aliminum piping and filter.

·
Premium Member
2,675 Posts
A couple pics aren't showing up first page. I might do this to the hotshot intake I just got for my car.

why hotshot? cuz I got a hotshot cai for my wifes 99 g20t and I like it, plus it was a discounted item there making new finishes now.

·
Registered
17,396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
wesside said:
A couple pics aren't showing up first page. I might do this to the hotshot intake I just got for my car.

why hotshot? cuz I got a hotshot cai for my wifes 99 g20t and I like it, plus it was a discounted item there making new finishes now.
thanks for the heads up.
SHO photo host's file names has been changed, and plus, these pics are from 5 month ago, keep that in mind.
I let my Intake go to my friend for free.
I want a quiet ride for while now i guess.
I'll keep on posting more DIY's in near feature :clap
oh, post your pictures too if you've done my DIY :)

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
bigjoe53 said:
can i use the bbq high temp krylon paint?
actually don't...it won't stick to aluminum. I used it on my intake last week and had to re-do it because the paint pretty much scraped off anytime it got touched with something (like my fingernail or anything else). And that was after sanding it real well. Just go with the high temp ceramic paint from advance auto.

·
Registered
17,396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
WillyG
did you use Primer paint?
if you did, you shouldn't have had problems that bad.
but anyways, BBQ spray is designed to stick to the grill, which is steele, but it's still a metal just like Aluminum is.
my best guess you didn't spray the piping right.

Any ways, Just use the stuff I used, and you shoulnd't have any problems. :)
BTW, POST PICTURES OF YOUR FINISHED PRODUCT!!!11one!!!uno!111!

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
mad-ass said:
WillyG
did you use Primer paint?
if you did, you shouldn't have had problems that bad.
but anyways, BBQ spray is designed to stick to the grill, which is steele, but it's still a metal just like Aluminum is.
my best guess you didn't spray the piping right.

Any ways, Just use the stuff I used, and you shoulnd't have any problems. :)
BTW, POST PICTURES OF YOUR FINISHED PRODUCT!!!11one!!!uno!111!
Well aluminum as a metal has different properties than grills do (which are cast iron). And you actually aren't supposed to use primer with these types of paint, because obviously the primer doesn't have the same heat handling capabilities as the paint does...and guess what will happen next? My guess is you won't have any problems though because the intake tube hardly gets hot enough to hurt the paint.

on a side note, I got my K&N filter today to replace the crappy ebay one, but it's ugly as fuck so I'm going to see if I can get a hold of an Akimoto filter.

·
Registered
17,396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
I used primer with the fact you posted :)
and of course the intake piping won't be getting hot, so I didn't even bother, just wanted the paint to stick better.
Any ways, I like Apexi Air Filters better.
here is some Comparison Pics :)

Hope that helped :)
COMON NOW!! PICS DAMNIT!! PICS!!! :ahh

·
Registered
93 Posts
so you are telling me that i should not use the krylon high temp bbq paint?
i have some left over because i was doing diy blackhousing headlights. so i really dont want to go out and buy another can that is only 500 degrees, the bbq paint is like a 1000 degrees or something like that..

one more thing should i sand it (is 600 grit good) or should i just use a steel wool like you did mad?

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
bigjoe53 said:
so you are telling me that i should not use the krylon high temp bbq paint?
i have some left over because i was doing diy blackhousing headlights. so i really dont want to go out and buy another can that is only 500 degrees, the bbq paint is like a 1000 degrees or something like that..

one more thing should i sand it (is 600 grit good) or should i just use a steel wool like you did mad?
actually if you read the back of the krylon BBQ paint can it says very specifically to use 120 grit paper. So that should be sufficient, but not too coarse to as to leave visible scratches. If you prime it the krylon paint will be fine, and it also looks badass because of the finish.

Also...i did some searching around on the Apexi filters and was wondering-what happens once they get dirty? Is there still a way to clean them? It says that they don't use oil so it seems like it's not a servicable filter...but I could be wrong.

21 - 40 of 89 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.