Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
61 - 80 of 89 Posts

·
Registered
622 Posts
wow chill out man...

dont know what you're making such a fuss about, but hey... never mind...

you go spray your stuff with heat risistant stuff if you want here, en go wait for replies that do line up with your thoughts...

·
Registered
17,396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #64 ·
EG6.Vtec said:
Would heat wrap reduce the intake temp even more? :confused Just a thought...
the cost of heat wrap would probably buy enough materials to make your own heal shield.
some fiberglassing or sheet metaling..
and i have never seen any, i mean ANY racing teams heat wrap the intake piping to reduce the heat. rather then that, they try more OPENING and straight pipings for better air flow and such.

no, it would, but it probably won't do much at all.

mad-ass

·
Registered
130 Posts
just wanted to let you guys know im in the procces of doing this. i bought an intake of ebay and it gets hot pretty quickly. right now the intake is primered just need to add the heat stuff tomrrow. ill post pictures

·
Registered
130 Posts
finaly finished. dont know how many coats i did, probably atleast 3 or 4.

before

after

while i was resetting my ecu i let it idle and it was pretty cold even with the sun hitting down on it... got to see how it holds up from the trip to work and back. i also ordered my K & N filter on friday for $30 ( pepboys had it for $60 )

ohh and yeah i did get some shit for heat coating it from people in my auto class. kept saying it wouldnt do anything.. ohh well ill find out for my self..

thanks for the diy!!

·
Registered
130 Posts
thanks, well i just got hom from work and felt the intake, wasnt WAY hot like it was before, just warm... soo i like it...

i might turn it into a cold air for summer but idk how to take out my res

·
Registered
130 Posts
i got my k&n filter in
got it for $33, really good for me since i saw it at pepboys for 60 and ^
only problem i had was that the filters opening was 2.5 and my intake was 3.0inches so i just bought a hose reducer and used that...

·
Registered
130 Posts
it really depends on you. like what color theme do you sorta like and think would look good with you car? i would do red just beacuse that stands out more. but its an intake, no one will really see it

·
Registered
28 Posts
Yes, I've painted it black. Looks pretty HOT :devil2: I decided on black because my car was already black and I love black, so more black is better.

Intake is probably the best look part in the engine bay. Maybe the distributor too, since that was new...

·
Registered
17,396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #76 ·
blk94boost said:
Yes, I've painted it black. Looks pretty HOT :devil2: I decided on black because my car was already black and I love black, so more black is better.

Intake is probably the best look part in the engine bay. Maybe the distributor too, since that was new...
ahaha, looks good so far!

I am glad that people are using my DIY, but I say this agian. this is more of a basic intro of how to spray paint.

you should paint your hood before it turns into a rust sheet

·
Registered
28 Posts
lol the hood has been painted. that was the first thing i did when i got the car. but there are so many runs and stuff on it, i don't really care that much anymore. i might fix it up again after winter passes. getting too cold the paint. or i might just buy a new hood or something.

·
Registered
17,396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #78 ·
blk94boost said:
lol the hood has been painted. that was the first thing i did when i got the car. but there are so many runs and stuff on it, i don't really care that much anymore. i might fix it up again after winter passes. getting too cold the paint. or i might just buy a new hood or something.

that's a mighty fine looking chalk board you got there :giggle

·
Registered
17,396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #79 ·
njn63 said:
wait... does AEM heat treat their intakes or have a heat resistant coating? Because that's 2 very different things.

And spray paint will not repel heat any significant amount, sorry. If it did, Jethot coating would go out of business. The 'heat resistant' part of that paint is it's resistance to chipping when exposed to high heat. Regular spray paint will be just fine on an intake, it doesn't get nearly hot enough to ruin it (i've used krylon on valve covers before and those get much hotter).
AEM has heat resistant coating.

and I am sorry I titled this DIY as such but I explained though out the whole thread that this is just how to "paint" tubes really instead of actually heat treating.

61 - 80 of 89 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.