Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a 91' civic hatch and i was wondering if i get a short air ram system. do i need a hood with a scoop?

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
K-DUB34 said:
I got a 91' civic hatch and i was wondering if i get a short air ram system. do i need a hood with a scoop?
yeah then you can get tireflies and apc stickers, and trade your rims in for some spinner hubcaps.

no you dont need a new hood :ninja

·
Registered
5 Posts
this guy must be an idiot. yea you need a new hood if you intstall the short ram intake. its because the air coming from your intake won't be at cold and it affects the engine. you may lose horsepower..loser...lol

·
Registered
3,780 Posts
Speed holes!

J/K. Functional hood scoops are for cars like the Mustang Mach 1, in which the scoop is connected directly to the throttle body in a "ram air" system. The Subaru WRX also has a functional hood scoop, but it is used to cool a top-mounted intercooler. Having a hood scoop with short ram does not seem like bad idea, since one of the problems with short ram systems is that they draw warm air from the engine bay. However, it would look funny on a Civic and the drag would outweigh the benefit. A better thing to do is connect a pipe from the throttle body to a fog light hole, but then you wouldn't be able to drive in the rain.

·
Registered
435 Posts
mistahmac said:
this guy must be an idiot. yea you need a new hood if you intstall the short ram intake. its because the air coming from your intake won't be at cold and it affects the engine. you may lose horsepower..loser...lol
that guys a ass dnt listen to him.. no u wouldnt need a new hood hood scoop or anything.. intake jus bolts right on in ten minutes.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I'm POSITIVE you dont need a new hood buddy, but i think the short ram is the way to go if ur car is daily driven, the cold air is a hazard in the rain, and the only option on that is a bypass valve that'll rob u of more ponies.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts