Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

Do you think there is still more hidden POWER?

2K views 21 replies 13 participants last post by  SBC2night 
#1 ·
What do you guess think is there still more hidden power in the 2003 AV6? What can you do to increase the output of the engine? Beside forced induction and noz. Where can the hidden power be at? Or is there any left.....

At least you know that Nissan altima's engine has untapped power because of the 350z, Maxima, and etc....

#3 ·
I think what he is asking is, what can be done to an 03 Accord to get more power out of it. The 3.5L Nissan engine spans in power levels from 240 up to 280 I think. Meaning that more can be done to the base engine to get more power out of it.

As for untapped power in the new Accord, I'd say it's too early to say. I'm sure there's probably some extra horses roaming around in it some where. We just don't know how to let them out yet.

#5 ·
good luck though, it took 4 years before any serious stuff came out for the gen6, and ironically it came out right when that gen was superceded rofl!!!!! can't wait till my g35 gets in muhhahahahahah

#6 ·
The reason the Nissan Engine has such a range of power is because it's just an untuned skyline engine, so it can go quite a bit higher than the 280 in the z car too.

#9 ·
desert platinum coupe, that's why I'm waiting, I just gave them a little moolah to hold me a spot. I really wanted the 350z but I don't feel like paying insuarnce on one, and it's only 2 seats. I didn't want to lock myself in to only one passenger. My mom had a 300Z TT 2 seater and it sucked when I borrowed it and wanted to take more than one person out lol. Actually thinking about it my mom has always had 2 seaters, maybe that says something. she went from a 560sl to the 300zTT to a 500sl, and she just bought a M roadster lol.

#11 ·
illusion said:
desert platinum coupe, that's why I'm waiting, I just gave them a little moolah to hold me a spot. I really wanted the 350z but I don't feel like paying insuarnce on one, and it's only 2 seats. I didn't want to lock myself in to only one passenger. My mom had a 300Z TT 2 seater and it sucked when I borrowed it and wanted to take more than one person out lol. Actually thinking about it my mom has always had 2 seaters, maybe that says something. she went from a 560sl to the 300zTT to a 500sl, and she just bought a M roadster lol.
All I gotta say is that your mom is really cool. I bet she didn't want to be called a "soccer mom" when you were a teen.

#13 ·
SBC2night said:
What do you guess think is there still more hidden power in the 2003 AV6? What can you do to increase the output of the engine? Beside forced induction and noz. Where can the hidden power be at? Or is there any left.....

At least you know that Nissan altima's engine has untapped power because of the 350z, Maxima, and etc....
Considering Honda extracted 300HP from the J30A1, yes there is more power available..

#16 ·
More power out of the J30? HA. No I dont think so. Unless they rework the entire engine and tranny like teh AC-R only then will it have lot more power. But i think its maxed out already. 200-240HP. Unless you bring in high compression and do what they did to the regular J32 to make 260HP out of it.

Like thats ever going to happen if Acura is still around.

#17 ·
T.O.Accord said:
That's if you can fit 2 other people in the back. The rear seats are decoys;) They don't fit much besides 8yr olds and under.
Most coupes as stated in earlier post have rear seats only for insurance reasons. The new SC 430 has practically useless rear seats, and the only reason they're there is for cheaper insurance.

If I could afford a car like any of those though, I don't think I'd be worried about insurance prices. Just leave the back empty or for extra space to keep stuff.

#18 ·
Just to let you guys know, the new AV6's engine has NO EXHAUST MANIFOLD. The catalytic converter is pretty much right near the exhaust ports. This is done to meet the ULEV standard. You can scratch the idea of an aftermarket header out of the question. With an even more intelligent OBDIII (or higher) emission control device, it's not likely you'll get more if any out of just intake and exhaust.

#19 ·
t-rd said:
Just to let you guys know, the new AV6's engine has NO EXHAUST MANIFOLD. The catalytic converter is pretty much right near the exhaust ports. This is done to meet the ULEV standard. You can scratch the idea of an aftermarket header out of the question. With an even more intelligent OBDIII (or higher) emission control device, it's not likely you'll get more if any out of just intake and exhaust.
The 2003 Accord still uses OBD-II. OBD III isn't out yet, and may not be out for another 3-6 years. I don't know if anyone knew about it, but OBD-III was supposed to be capable of monitoring several things your vehicle is doing, or what you're doing (driving habits) and transmit anything that's at fault to the nearest vehicle dealer. They're supposed to know what's already wrong with your vehicle as you're riding down the road. One thing alot of people didn't like about it was the fact that "Big Brother" would also be able to know if you're speeding, and mail you a ticket to your house.

I'm a service technican, and I know right now with OBD-II once your check engine light comes on it records 10 seconds worth of information before, during, and after whatever caused your check engine light on. We had one instance where a guy came in with a check engine light and we retrieved the fault from his computer, and was looking at all the info on it ... we also noticed that he was pulling 4750 rpm @ 122 mph when his check engine light came on. :D

Anyway this is something to think about when buy cars in the future.

#20 ·
V6 i VTEC said:
The 2003 Accord still uses OBD-II. OBD III isn't out yet, and may not be out for another 3-6 years. I don't know if anyone knew about it, but OBD-III was supposed to be capable of monitoring several things your vehicle is doing, or what you're doing (driving habits) and transmit anything that's at fault to the nearest vehicle dealer. They're supposed to know what's already wrong with your vehicle as you're riding down the road. One thing alot of people didn't like about it was the fact that "Big Brother" would also be able to know if you're speeding, and mail you a ticket to your house.

I'm a service technican, and I know right now with OBD-II once your check engine light comes on it records 10 seconds worth of information before, during, and after whatever caused your check engine light on. We had one instance where a guy came in with a check engine light and we retrieved the fault from his computer, and was looking at all the info on it ... we also noticed that he was pulling 4750 rpm @ 122 mph when his check engine light came on. :D

Anyway this is something to think about when buy cars in the future.
Cool, thanks for the info. Would you guesstimate that more than half of the check engine light that people commonly face is from emission control (OBD-II) errors? It used to be that your engine had a possible problem more so than an emissions control equipment (O2 sensor, cat, loose gas cap) failing on the car

#21 ·
showgunz said:
Cool, thanks for the info. Would you guesstimate that more than half of the check engine light that people commonly face is from emission control (OBD-II) errors? It used to be that your engine had a possible problem more so than an emissions control equipment (O2 sensor, cat, loose gas cap) failing on the car
I work for Lexus, and about 90% of the Check Engine lights are for Emission related problems.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.