Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i went to the dealer and got my 15,000 check up and they said that i need new tires like it looks bad half of the tire is bald and the other half is fine, i need an anwser, they said because of the supension on the R is the same as the nsx and that tires go fast then any other car.:confused:

· Registered
301 Posts
The tread wear rating for the stock Bridgestone's is like 140, which means they are rated for 10,000-15,000 miles, that's it.

In the owner's manual, it says that you should only expect about 15,000 miles out of them .....

· Registered
502 Posts
rrrrrrr1 said:
i went to the dealer and got my 15,000 check up and they said that i need new tires like it looks bad half of the tire is bald and the other half is fine, i need an anwser, they said because of the supension on the R is the same as the nsx and that tires go fast then any other car.:confused:
My R has 26K on it, and it's on the third set of tires. That doesn't even include race tires. I would say that if you got 15K out of yours, you should be happy. That's more than most.

· Banned
2,834 Posts
I got only 9,000 on my first R with it's origional tires.

My second R has 18,000 on 'em and after rotating them I can get another month or so out of 'em. I will be replacing them with the RE010's again, "got a deal I just could not pass up on..."

I do understand that they wear a little more on the inside of the fronts but that seems to be a common trait.

It has nothing much to do with it having a suspension similar the NSX's as far as I know, it is the treadwear rating of 140 that limits their life, as well as hard driving.

I got 18,000 miles and did 2 Auto-X's with 'em, I guess I'm lucky and also will not drive on 'em in the rain. They are almost on their wear bars all around.

A.

PS BTW #231 what do you run for the X? I'm mounting my Hoosiers now for next Sunday...

· Registered
301 Posts
OT, but you reminded me Greyteg, I'm taking the hatch crap and doing a PCA auto-x this Sunday ..... probably have to roll on the 13" steelies ..... ugh!!

Going to try to snake the old stock wheels from my Miata that I sold to my Dad when I bought the R (it has 16" rims on it now, the stock 14's should fit my Civic, and they weigh 10 lbs for the rim!!!).

· Banned
2,834 Posts
I just acquired a beater and since the snow has never really arrived I just swapped back my stock rims and RE0's. I really did it because after the ATS FD and Toda FW install I wanted to push the hell out of it and see what it really can do now. I'm happy as hell with it now. I don't even want to go inside and do the cams anymore. I'm sure I'll be content for at least another year with my current setup.

Our Auto-X is at the Giants Stadium in Jersey this Sunday.

I also just dropped off my Hooisers and Te-37's to get mounted. I just hope it doesn't rain then, or I'll have to race on the Re0's. That would be very interesting especially since traction is a new issue after the Final Drive install.

Ain't Auto-X just the best? Of course I heven't hit a full road course yet, so I'm still just addicted to the gateway drug of choice, The "X!"

A.

· Registered
301 Posts
My friend is in the Porsche Club of America (PCA), and he is the one that told me to go this weekend, ours is at Six Flaggs near DC. He'll be out there playing in his RS America.

Its kind of ironic that I am going to an event where there will be a bunch of cars I can't stand ...... :p

· Registered
502 Posts
1Greyteg said:

PS BTW #231 what do you run for the X? I'm mounting my Hoosiers now for next Sunday...
Kumho Victoracers, like the rest of us poor folks ;) 225/50/15's up front, and 205's in the rear. Hoosiers, eh? Good luck with that, ya bastard :D

· Registered
4,657 Posts
yea dude, not only do they not hook up for shit , but they dont last long either.
thats what i call a lose lose situation

· Registered
20 Posts
Stock RE010's lasted just over 10,000 miles, but they were slicks when they came off.

Toyo Proxes T1-S's lasted a little less than 10,000 miles, but they were great wet or dry. Too soft in the side wall for me though.

Bridgestone Potenza S03 Pole Position's so far have 5000 miles on them and seem to be better in every way including tread wear.

When the Toyo's came off the rear they were cupped badly on the inside of each tire. Almost completely smooth, and they had deep defined tread.

· Registered
6 Posts
when i sold my r, i had 20000km which is around 12500 miles and i still had around half life in them. do not get me wrong, i drove my car hard.
stock RE010 as i remember.
i had 36psi all round
I never do burnouts and nothing could keep up with me including lotus elises in corners

if you set up the corner right you use less tyres

· Registered
1,880 Posts
Well, as for the R having the same suspension as the NSX, although it is somewhat true. All I can see in commom between the two is the double wishbone suspension (Dealers would also say that the NSX has the same suspension as an F1 car, go figure). Well, basically if you have a good suspension, your likely to wear out your tires quicker because the car is actually using more of the tires capable traction. But I'm thinking...even though the suspension is stiffer, and the tires don't skid as much, then shouldn't tread wear be improved? Eh, tires area such an subjective area...

· Registered
1,004 Posts
I am at 11,000mi right now and I only have one good tire left. For some reason the rear driver side tire seems not to wear at all, while all the other three are almost down to nothing. I guess that I love left hand turns too much.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.