Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im trying to decide between Sohc w/ Eldebrock turbo, or all motor Dohc. What would be better all around as far as: Price, Durability, long lasting, maintnance.

·
Registered
10,384 Posts
welcome to SHO
could use more info on what you have/want. what sohc motor do you have? what dohc motor are you looking at/thinking of? please be a little more specific.

by the way, this really shouldnt be in d series tech forum, you should read the sticky on forum rules (all forums have them)before posting :D

edelbrock d series turbos, unless you have a good hook-up, are around 3500-4000 USD. depending on what year your car is, and your issues with keeping it legal, a good swap could go for that.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry I put the thread in the wrong place. I am looking to get a D16y8 and all the necessary internals for a complete eldebrock turbo, which is leagal. Or a shipped H22a from Hmotors which I would break down and beef up. That is my problem.

·
Registered
10,384 Posts
built d16y8w/edelbrock turbo kit=~$5000
h22=~$2500(including shipping)

d16y8 w/turbo =whp-176
*claimed wtq-147

jdm h22 = hp- 200
tq- 161

h22=better out of the box performance, but with it you will need suspension upgrade to support the extra ~100 lbs up front, adding about ~$1500 to the price above.
you will not need to build the y8(as long as its relativly low mileage) to run 6-7 psi that a stock edelbrock turbo will run.. it wouldn't be a bad idea, but its not necessary, saving you around $1000 off the price above.
i could keep going, but im not sure if your concerned about price or power

properly tuned and built boosted d-series will easily make more hp than an civic needs... i pesonally would love a swap, but am completly content with what my d is/can put/ting out.

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
im not sure where you're from, but if you're from a state that has strict emissions laws like cali, then i think you should go for the turbo y8 since it's carb legal.

·
Registered
632 Posts
yeah imo i would stay d series. yeah mabey they take a little more work and tuning to get the hp u want BUT, they are way cheaper when it comes to parts, and a little more simple to work on when it comes to the engine head.
and oh how good it feel when you have a finely built d series that can keep up and beat many gt's, TT's, bmw's, etc. they can be surprisingly fast with just the right love given. all i have now is a hatch with d15b i/e and i keep up pretty well with those bmw hatchbacks whatever they are called.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts