Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey i was gonna do a zc swap for my 88 si, is this swap as easy as everyone makes it sound or should I pay someone to do it? I was gonna buy the motor from hmotors any suggestion on a better place to purchase?

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
i like how in attempts for posting alot everyoen just says yes its easy

as for your question it is an easy swap because the zc is actually a d series but dohc so it bolts right up on stock mounts. and yes go with hmotorsonline...they are great and have unbeatable service

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
i was looking into a dohc for my 88si.Direct drop in motor.But im thinkin an ls would be much better...?

·
Registered
5,788 Posts
whatever swap you're planning on doing, hmotors is the place to go. I got my jdm sirII from them and I was very pleased with it. you should be able to do the zc swap yourself, given that you're somewhat mechanically inclined...if not I wouldn't suggest it. But it is FAIRLY easy...

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
turbotious kid said:
With an ls motor, ls/vtec is alwayz the way to go!

ls swaps are very common but do cost a good bit of cash

considering u get the motor for around 700( which is a low estimate), then mounts are around 400-500 or more, then new clutch and flywheel( easily around 800-1000), so right there you have around 2200 max for ust teh engine mounts and new clutch and flywheel(unless u want to roll on a stock clutch and flywheel) and you also need axles which is another 100-300 so max at about 2500

dohc zc is 525 plus shipping, then say 800-1000 for clutch and flywheel and there you go a nice easy swap

·
Registered
3,966 Posts
hondapride59 said:
ls swaps are very common but do cost a good bit of cash

considering u get the motor for around 700( which is a low estimate), then mounts are around 400-500 or more, then new clutch and flywheel( easily around 800-1000), so right there you have around 2200 max for ust teh engine mounts and new clutch and flywheel(unless u want to roll on a stock clutch and flywheel) and you also need axles which is another 100-300 so max at about 2500

dohc zc is 525 plus shipping, then say 800-1000 for clutch and flywheel and there you go a nice easy swap
but for that price, dont b18/b16 engines come close to the c5?

·
Registered
3,966 Posts
turbotious kid said:
Lets see my b18c costs about $3200 and the b18c spec r costs like $4500. So Nope there not.
i meant isnt a lsvtec conversion comparable to the numbers of a b18c5? and for much cheaper?

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
yes ls/vtec is in teh rice range of a b18c5 and same with power...but what would you do pay more for a stock motor with that much power or pay less for an unreliable frankestein motor that will last on average 60,000 miles before it goes boom

·
Registered
5,788 Posts
hondapride59 said:
yes ls/vtec is in teh rice range of a b18c5 and same with power...but what would you do pay more for a stock motor with that much power or pay less for an unreliable frankestein motor that will last on average 60,000 miles before it goes boom
depends really...frank swaps aren't ALL unreliable...I wish ppl would quit saying things like that. if you get it built properly there should be no problems...and how you TREAT the motor itself is a big part of keeping it RUNNING properly and what not. If you beat the shit out of it everyday like you don't give a FU*K, you can't really think it'll hold up too long...and if you didn't want to deal with all that crap, you might as well just go with the c5...I'm for either or though, I don't really have a preference.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts