Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i've been saving up for a dohc zc, and hoping i would like it, power wise and all....but friday night i raced a gutted civic hatch with a dohc zc in it....he beat me by 2 1/2 car lengths...like hatch or crx lengths...well he said he had it bored out, with new pistons, and cams, and i think he said some other things were done....but im wondering why i lost by 2 1/2 car lengths.i was also spinning until about 4500 rpm

my car is a 91 crx dx, with i/h/e and a short shifter

i thought that he would have beaten me by alot more than that...i dont think he was driving bad, but im not sure why the race was so close...so now i am thinking more towards a b16...

can somebody please give me some feedback on this?

thanks

here is a link to pics of his car....only his hood was repainted black....
http://www.thezcresource.com/gallery/showgallery.php?cat=500&ppuser=650

·
Registered
854 Posts
that sounds about right.
don't expect a miracle from the zc, its still a 1.6l motor and its still basically the same exact engine as your dx, only its dohc and its mpfi.
swapping from dx to zc you wont go from 17 second quarter mile to 14

in my wise opinion, if you are swapping the zc just to have a zc and drive the car with a stock zc, dont!
if you want mpfi and a little bit more juice, buy an si motor, its cheaper and a ton easier to find.
only buy the zc if you are planning to go either all motor monster or forced induction.

my crx has a zc but the turbo has been bolted to it from the day it was born in the garage so i dont know exactly how much faster the zc is to a normal dx cause i never raced one with just a stock motor but its not that big of a difference.

·
Registered
2,598 Posts
if you were going to go ZC, don't. The aftermarket really sucks for it, and like 2nv said, its preatty much pointless get have a ZC stock to drive around with when a d16a6 can be had much cheaper. In fact for the amount you will spend on the ZC swap in total (like $900+ = Engine, Tranny(Si, or ZC), ECU, and MPFI) you would do the mini-me or just go ahead and get a whole d16z6 and do that swap for a little bit cheaper. The difference is the z6/mini-me was 3hp less at the crank (OHHH big shit) but the aftermarket more reaidly availible for it.

If you want to do b16, by all means do that, but an ls motor will yeild more tq.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts