Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey All,

So here is an update to what is happening with the smog on the DOHC ZC.

As some of you know, I have been working with the California EPA, and State commissioner to get my car Barred as a D16A1. Which means, I basically have to have everything to spec as an 89 Integra motor. So far, I have all the components, but ran into a bigger problem this weekend when starting her up.

I recently gathered all parts needed to bring this thing to Parr. Timing belt cover, stock intake and Air box. PG7 ECU out of an 89 Integra. All my parts and hoses are in the right place. The only thing that is different about the car is the cams, which on the 89 Integra are closer, and bigger than the stock DOHC ZC cams.

State Commissioner says that smoke is fine; they have barred cars before with smoke problems. But I don’t think it will pass. The reason? Because of the size of the cams, and also I don’t think this motor will meet specs of an 89 Integra. I have a 50-50 chance of getting this thing to pass the ref.

It’s possible I may have some bad valve stem seals. Which is causing the smoke problem. The owner of the car before may have fried the rings. I didn’t inspect them when I did the re-build. So Im suspecting that could be cause for the engine to smoke like it does when it starts. Could be the engine all together. The head gasket I reinstalled over the summer is starting to give again. I can see the oil seeping from around the sides of the block. Worst case scenario would be the engine is just bad.

So, if worse comes to worse. I will do a d16z6 vtec. I have been researching these motors. I could either go JRSC, or turbo. I will most likely try both to compare, and keep one depending on which way I want to go with the build. I can pick up a JRSC supercharger for around 300 bucks here locally.

Why downgrade to a single cam? Basically the JDM d15b (D16z6) put out the same horses as my DOHC ZC does. I have been reading up on this on these two sites. IMO the engine would also be a tad lighter, and more aftermarket parts are available for building the motor up. The DOHC ZC is a harder build since many of the performance parts I want aren’t available for this motor. Especially since I have a 89 ZC motor. If I am trying to ref this, then everything has to meet or exceed 89 Integra spec. Well, there aren’t many performance parts for an 89 Integra. Especially when I could buy a complete motor for the amount I am spending just to get this one back in shape. I know it is a single cam, but if it puts out about the same horses and I could get this one reffed, this will probably be the way I want to go.

I could also boost or supercharge an extra 100. 130 stock for this motor and its rated as a 1.6 isn’t bad. 130 + 100 from the turbo or SC? Not bad either.

So, Im wondering if anyone else on SHO can shine some light on this. If you have done a d16z6 build. How does it handle, and what have you done to it. Have any of you passed State ref with this motor? Please let me know. I would like feedback before I shell out the 325 for a d15b Vtec this weekend.

Here are two sites I have found on this. Also, since this is a Dseries motor, I should be able to use my tranny I have on it right now since it is a SI Dseries tranny correct? Don’t have to change the axles or anything right since everything is basically the same?

Also, if I have a conversion harness. I will not have to repin the connectors for the ecu since the conversion harness will be just plug and play right? I need a P28 for the swap correct? I need the car to be all stock when going to ref. No cutting wires or repining will be needed with a conversion harness correct?

Someone also told me that the d15b is a JDM replacement engine for the D16z6. If this is correct, and this will pass the ref with no problem. Im game. Let me know if you guys have info on this.

http://asia.vtec.net/article/d15b/

http://www.angelfire.com/d20/hcivic88/4gtech_d16z6swap.html

The engine has to last me until the Type R build is complete. So, why not have a little fun with it whilst Im building?

Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
20,101 Posts
So you didn't replace the rings when you rebuilt the engine??? Thats almost a no brainer everytime you do a rebuild. And the engine shouldn't be bad if you rebuilt it correctly, thats the point of rebuilding it. Does it smoke when you first start it and when it idles, or when its at higer rpms? Your si trany will work with any sohc d series.

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
I can't really help except to say my JDM B16a is B.A.R. certified. Just costs money as I'm sure you know.

I had to change from OBD0 to OBD1 and change my intake manifold. It's labeled as a 1995 Del Sol engine.

·
Registered
7,597 Posts
HERE IS WHAT I HAD IN MY 88 CRX Si:

OBD1 JDM D15B VTEC MOTOR
STOCK Si TRANS
P08 ECU (JDM D15B VTEC ECU)
APEX VAFC ll

I NEVER REFFED IT NOR WAS IT LEGAL, BUT IT WAS QUICK AND IT RAN GOOD TIL MY DIZZY QUIT ON ME. AND YES, THE CONVERSION HARNESS IS PLUG AND PLAY....GO TO WWW.RYWIRE.COM THOSE GUYS R THE BEST AND HELPED ME WITH MY SWAP. I HAVE SOME WIRING DIAGRAMS FOR YOU AS WELL IF YOU NEED THOSE.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ya,

I hear what your sayin about the b16, but why do that when im building a Type R motor right now.

Dont care about the quickness of the car, but getting it to pass legally at bar. The motor has to get me around, until I finish the other motor.

I can have all the speed and stuff later when I drop the type r. To end my headaches about the DOHCZC, I want to drop a d16z6 or a d15b.

Kinda know about the parts linking up no problem, just wondering if anyone has dropped a stock d16z6 in theirs and had any complications with smogging it at the ref.

The local shop I can get a d15b says it would be harder to smog the d15b.

ATISTANG, didnt have to really rebuild the motor but the head. It needed a valve adjustment, the motor was rated at 30k when dropped. Its not high mileage. I think the smoke is coming from when im letting it sit.

DeathIsCertain, Ryan from rywire.com is a good friend of mine and will be doing the wiring on my rex. Thanks for the info tho.

Anyone else do a d16z6 swap with no problem from smog ref?

·
Registered
30 Posts
blurr check your e-mails or pm box bro, I have done a d16z6 and turbocharged hit me up on my pm and I e-mailed you. I am in the same boat as you but my troubles are with ref and turbo. Let me know.

we gotta talk man,

Jeff

1 - 7 of 7 Posts