Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have recently got my self a 00 integra GS-R. and i want to turbo it. but i want to put other performance parts on it. and when i do get it turbo on it. i dont want to take stuff off. basically what im saying.. is where should i start out performance wise and is it gonna be compatible with the turbo i want to get>>???

·
Registered
4,605 Posts
building a turbo motor is a lot like building.. well.. anything. you gotta know what you're doing when you embark on this challenge. if you're not comfortable with hand picking and building your own turbo setup, get the greddy bolt on kit, replace your rods and pistons with forged ones, sleeve your block, and call it a day. as for "other" performance parts, there really isn't anymore besides the boost controller, turbo timer, all that other misc stuff that should come with a turbo. also look into bigger injectors, i don't know if it comes with the greddy kit. hmm.. what else.. oh yeah, get better brakes. you'll need them. good luck bro :tu

·
Registered
342 Posts
your engine is a package, set a budget or a hp goal, a realistic one, then think of terms of the engine package. Dont buy stuff for now that you wont use later. Its all one big package so each piece has its place

·
Registered
6 Posts
Building/planning for a Turbo

chavis34 said:
i have recently got my self a 00 integra GS-R. and i want to turbo it. but i want to put other performance parts on it. and when i do get it turbo on it. i dont want to take stuff off. basically what im saying.. is where should i start out performance wise and is it gonna be compatible with the turbo i want to get>>???

I agree that you need to set realistic goals. Define what your ride will beused for street, drag, show, etc.....Since you have decided to go turbo...... a good idea is to invest your money to get the best bang for your buck. Start by building up your foundation and that is the long block to prepare it for a turbo. Depending on the mileage of your engine it is probably best to build the internals to handle a predictable amount of boost/hp.

I would not invest into any bolt ons such as headers, intake etc.....since that will not work with your future plans for a turbo as all these parts will be replaced when you go turbo. A classic mistake many owners make is not beefing up their engine internals to handle boost reliably for a number of miles and daily use. I'm assuming this will be a street daily driver with some butt behind it when you need/want it.

Get cost estimates and create a budget....Save your money to remove the engine, tear it down and have your block built for turbo i.e. lower compression pistons,new rings, light weight strong rods, replace valves, springs and cams etc.......using the right combination of porting and polishing/ intake and exhaust valves, and maybe an ITR or CTR cam setup you will have invested into a strong foundation that will provide you with usable power when you decide to add the turbo to your otherwise naturally aspirated engine......every dollar you invest into the above will provide you greater reliablity and longer engine life/duration.

You might find that you might even consider keeping your engine na by going with high compression pistons and a pretty amazing performance without a turbo. we recenty built a nice 1995 B18C1 with 12.5/1 pistons, ctr cams and dual springs, edelbrock throttle body and intake, headers, lightened flywheel, act clutch and she sounds awesome and runs great. Still breaking her in so we dont know what she will do but we have no intention of going turbo with this combination......just a nicely built na vtec that will kick some buttocks.

good luck and plan well so you get the best bang for your buck

·
Registered
659 Posts
yea u really need to figure out the goals you want from the build and the money you want to invest into the car... there are soo many options to look into when you are plannin on doing a build of this sort

·
Registered
6 Posts
Building a Car

ruffryder744 said:
yea u really need to figure out the goals you want from the build and the money you want to invest into the car... there are soo many options to look into when you are plannin on doing a build of this sort
I agree..... just bolting up a turbo and other bolt ons as a goal is usually not a good long term solution.......every successful project relies on time, money and knowledge. Building your private car is a project that requires goal setting/what is your vision?, planning, budgeting, implementing and preparedness for overcoming diversions, obstacles etc.... One of my mentors states "if you dont know where your going any road will get you there"

·
Registered
258 Posts
chavis34 said:
you what u should do? you should give that car to me, cuz obviously you dont know the power you have at your hands..haha j/k..gets cams n pistons and all that good stuff if u wanna go to induction

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.