Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked it up in June of 2001 with less than 1 mile on it and it was one of the first batch that showed up at my local dealer. I was number 3 on a waiting list that my dealer had started for the next generation Integra that previous November. After over 123k miles it still rides/drives very well. It hasn't been back to the shop for much of anything in the last 5 years other than preventative maintenance. Only a few warranty claims like the fender well trim, a defective brake switch, and worn driver's side carpet. I've had some of the annoying RSX-S issues that most everyone has had with the first model. Crappy Bose system, blown lowbeams after 18 months, and that annoying rear blind spot. I have a Sirius satellite system now or I'll play my own mp3s. I get the lowbeams cheaper at the local Honda dealer because it's the same part# as the '97 Prelude.

At around 50k miles, the gasket were the header connects to the down pipe went bad and was causing some exhaust rattle. A picked up the part from an Acura dealer and a muffler shop across the street replaced it for just a few bucks in like 20 min. I'm about to get my 3rd or 4th set of tires, I don't remember. I never had any issues with 2nd gear grinding, I guess you need to push the clutch pedal all the way down. I'm not buying anymore brand new cars. I know we have insurance, but I would hate to be rollin a brand spankin new ride and some joker hits you without insurance and everyone in the car jumps out and runs. I have definitely got my monies worth and still some. I liked driving it as much as I could to see how durable the new model was. I put nearly 100k trouble free miles on my previous Integra GS-R. So far my experience has been pretty good for a 1st model year Acura and it’s paid for now! :D

·
Registered
13,201 Posts
Thats good to hear! But how did you manage to have it for so long and keep it stock? haha I was going crazy when I got my car being stock.. I lowered my bitch within 4 days of getting it lol

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nguyen said:
Thats good to hear! But how did you manage to have it for so long and keep it stock? haha I was going crazy when I got my car being stock.. I lowered my bitch within 4 days of getting it lol
The aftermarket fun for me is in sportbikes and ATVs. No need for me to mess with the everyday driveablity of the car with even noisier intake/exhaust and an even choppier ride with lowered springs...etc. I do think the 2005 Type-S is the model to have with all of the improvements compared to the original 2002.

·
Registered
3,967 Posts
congrats on being free of car payments!!

I wish I had done that... I paid off my 'Lude, and went right out a week later and bought the S2000... oh well.

keep with it 'til the thing falls apart... that's what I'd do...

·
Registered
3,154 Posts
Shit, bro... 123k is a TON of miles for a 5 year old car. You definitely got your money's worth.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
AlTrOnX said:
wait so the worn carpet on the drivers side is a warranty issue?
Yeah the carpet was replaced before the 4yr-50k. It's starting to wear again. It's taken much much longer this time. 25k miles a year isn't hard to rack up if you live in the suburbs and have relatives in other cities like most people. I think it was the 2005 Type-S that had so many little BIG improvements like a higher redline, horsepower increase, lower ride height, and better rims and head lights. I'm suprised that my 2002's engine, gearbox, and original clutch still feel close to new. I've got up/down shifting down to a science, the gearbox gets dumped/filled every 60k, and I've used Mobil 1 full synthetic since the first oil change. Only the suspension is showing age.

Also, the car holds an alignment pretty well. I had to have it aligned back in 2003 because I jacked up one of the wheels on a curb. The rim had some ugly curb and street marks on it because it blew out the tire. One of the local big tire company chain stores hooked me up with a very clean used and or repaired rim for something like $50 bucks total mounted and balanced. After the alignment and several thousand miles, there is no pulling or uneven wear on the current tires since the alignment.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
AlTrOnX said:
shit, so if i take my car to an acura dealership, they will fix it no problem?
In my case it didn't hurt to ask. I don't think it's an issue to have it replaced under warranty. Ask more than one dealer also. They covered the blown out low beams a couple of times under warranty too. I don't remember exactly when it was but I know the car was still in the 4yr/50k warranty.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
This first 2002 Type-S should have about 200k on it by now. :clappy

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.