Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
does anyone know?

cuz 2day my friends were like, oh man EVAN (another friends of ours) man he showed us how to double clutch and shit...and bla bla bla

i was like wtf?!?! i didnt know personal cars needed double clutching

from my knowledge u only double clutch when its like a TRUCK or something

....someone correct me if im wrong
or reply if im rite

· Registered
274 Posts
Don't quote me on this, but I believe double-clutching is where you press the clutch in to take the car/truck out of gear and then press the clutch in to shift the car in gear.

for example, say you're driving in 1st.
To shift into second you would press the clutch in, shift into neutral, and then let go of the clutch.
Then you would press the clutch in, shift into 2nd, and let go of the clutch pedal.

Again, I'm not 100% positive this is double clutching, this is just how I had to drive my ex's old ass Blazer.

· Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
y would u need to do this....is it becuz of the way the old technology designed the transmission?

if this is true...that means all my friends are nothing but fc|<en rice boys with there race rockets

(if your guys know what i mean)

i hate people when they think they know alot and say they're a racer and shit...fu|<en retards

· Registered
494 Posts
well, double clutch downshifting id to revmatch precisly do u have smooth gear changes, and for upshifting, i never quite really got. i never use it, but my mom says its just to get it another gear up with a good amount of pull. (my mom used to street race in the 60's and 70's. lol)

· Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
well the way my uncle explained it to me (hes a car mechancic) is kinda of like a car jack....if u press it once...it doesnt separate it enough so u have to press it again (the clutch that is) so its kinda like a jack...u press it 2 times to separate it more

but my uncle said its only in old cars and in trucks no a days.....

so does that mean fucken evan guy was showing off nuthing??

fu|< i hate those lamers

· Registered
4,608 Posts
First of all let's deal with the "double declutching " issue. This is really only the British term for 'double clutching' and makes reference in some way I suppose, to the fact that it is usually a downshifting maneuver in disengaging the clutch. The first stage in a full 'heel and toe' gear change is the simple use of double clutching. On its own this is a fairly simple little dance of the toes and it goes like this:

1. You are driving along in your TR, MG or whatever in third gear for example, approaching a corner and preparing to shift to second. You brake with the left edge of the ball of your right foot as usual.

2. Depressing the clutch with your left foot the shift lever passes through neutral as this happens you release the clutch pedal out again half way, thus setting the mechanics of the clutch assembly in motion again.

3. Then fully depress the clutch to complete your shift into second.

That my friends is a double declutching. It might sound odd in print but is quite simple in action. Practice it in the driveway, with the engine off so you don't hit anything. The aim is to keep the engine and the clutch plates turning at the same speed for the moment when they engage themselves. Your car will thank you especially if you have an older vehicle that lacks effective synchromesh.

· Registered
1,274 Posts
Another type of doubleclutching is something you can do in first. At about 3500 rpm while driving through the gear you pop in the clutch and let it go to jump your RPM's and skip part of the gear. The car may chirp nastily. Also doing it on turns is fun if the car is not your worries, then you hold in the clutch longer just because your not doing it for speed.

· Registered
259 Posts
i dunno

my way .. if im launching first gear it revs to bout 4500 rpm (after the tires stop spinnin) keep my foot on the gas and push the clutch. it revs to 7000 then i popp the clutch (with foot still on the gas) and it chirps and i quickly shift to second giving gas till 3 or 4k rpms then stomp and hold the clutch (and gas at same time) when it hits 6 or 7k pop the clutch and shift if needed....
i dunno if thats a good enough description or sounds wierd but thats how i do it... and no thats not power shifting

· Registered
309 Posts
Here is why you double clutch:

When you are in a higher gear, and want to downshift, i.e. 3rd to 2nd, 2nd to 1st, and are moving, you double clutch.

Lets say you wanna get into first while moving, and your in second: You press the clutch, and place the shifter in nuetral. You release the clutch, and rev to the RPM the engine will be at when you finally release the clutch. Then, press the clutch, slide the shifter into first, and release the clutch quickly- then floor it. You've rev-matched the speed of your gears to the speed the car is moving, so the load is not all on the syncro. This is ESPECIALLY important if you want to downshift to first. NOT doing this will result in a severly worn out syncro in a short period of time if you downshift without double clutching, therefore resulting in grinds.

See, if you dont double clutch, your syncro has to speed first gear up to the speed of the car. That "block", or resistance you feel trying to downshift to first while moving is not actually a block, it is your syncro attempting to speed up the gear. See, if you held it gently against it (not reccomended cuz it will severly wear your syncro), it will go in, even at 60mph (DONT LET OUT THE CLUTCH)!!

I hope that clears things up...

· Registered
1,104 Posts
Xtr3m3 said:
i ask my uncle he's a mechanic....hes like NONE of the new cars u need to double clutch...u only do it 4 old cars from like the 60's

so WTF!?!?!?!
Newer cars have a Synchromesh which will take care of the differences in RPM. So the only time you'd double clutch is extreme driving (race track) where the Synchro could possibly be damaged by the difference in RPM, or a car with an old (non functional) Synchro, or a car without a Synchro (1960s or so).

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.