Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had some noise coming from the drive belt area. I pulled off the belt to spin the pulleys.

The power steering and compressor spin freely and smoothly. The alternator spins fairly smoothly but squeaks slightly when spun counter-clockwise, but is quiet clockwise and coasts a couple turns (the noise I have is much lower pitch). The tensioner turns smoothly, but will not coast at all. The idler spins just a tiny bit.

My question is, how easily should the tensioner, idler, and alternator spin?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
So apparently, yes, they should freewheel smoothly. I pulled the whole tensioner off the bearings for the idler and tensioner are both leaking grease, and the idler actually wobbled.

I'm gonna get a Gates 38332 tensioner assembly to replace. Any idea if that includes the idler too? Some pictures show it on there, others don't.

·
Registered
7 Posts
First off, what car do you drive? Is it the Accord which you have stated in your profile or any other car? Generally the alternator has a little bit of resistance (could be because of the winding and stuff) otherwise it should roll free.

I also try to work on my car as much as possible and take the help of this manual specially for the Accord automotix.net/autorepair/diy/honda-accord-repair.html. Just take a look and you might also find this quite informative.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts