Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
33,658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I guess it's a good fan friendly idea, especially if they're trying to build up the drivers' recognition with their audience (compared to just team loyalty).

Driver Identification device

Driver Identification device to be introduced from Round 3 at Fuji Speedway
Lamp flash sequence will instantly let fans know which driver is in the car!

From Round 3 at Fuji Speedway, all participating machines in SUPER GT will use an identification system allowing fans to determine which driver is in each car at any point throughout races.

The identification device will be placed in the upper left hand corner of the front windshield, and also in the lower portion of the rear window on the left side of cars. The LED will shine a solid beam of light denoting the first driver (as per the event entry list); while the second driver will be identified by the alternating flashing of the lamp.

The Fuji Speedway event, Round 3 of this year's series, is a 500-km event. Also, from this year SUPER GT will add a new event for Round 6, the Pokka 1000kms in August - a true test of endurance in a very long race.

In that event, drivers will make at least 2 switches. With the introduction of the LED device, fans will get extra excitement from knowing which driver is in the car all race long.

Link to some pics of the device:

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
how about this feature for f1?

how can anyone tell who is who (aside from helmet designs? and who the hell can even see those from a distance?)???

·
Registered
462 Posts
theflipimage said:
how about this feature for f1?how can anyone tell who is who (aside from helmet designs? and who the hell can even see those from a distance?)???
Yeah they have that colored camera/tripod thing on top of the airbox

Red=team leader
Black=2nd driver
Yellow= 3rd driver

pay attention when you watch the next race, and you'll notice the different colored tripods.

an example of the Augri cars Red=Sato Black=Ide

·
Registered
422 Posts
Why don't they just put LED board on the side of the car with the current pilots name on it. I believe that ALMS cars have a system of 3 LEDs on the side of the car to tell spectators what position a car is in, but I'm not totally sure if that's what they're for. Here's a photo of what I'm talking about.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.