Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can we actually drill drum brakes ? along the sides.. will it have the same effect as drilled discs? just wondering.. might look cool after all.. BTW what rear discs should i look for to swap into my rear drums civic 6th gen?

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
94civicDX said:
drum brakes in the rear are just for keeping the car still with the parking brake. They don't really heat up.

this is the most incorrect statement EVER.......

to answer the original question, i would assume you could do it but i would not recommend it, the reason that rotors are drilled is because certain pad compounds used to (about 40 years ago) create a layer of gas between the pad and the rotor causing fade, the gas needed a place to go, then they reliazed they could x-drill rotors and the gas would escape and BAM they solved the problem, however, now, pad compounds have advanced ALOT and they have made x-drilled rotors totally USELESS.......

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
wilsel said:
To answer your 2nd ? You want to look for rear disc's off a 99-00 Civic SI.

not true, he never said what year civic he has

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
the RAN said:
he said he has a 6th gen
but Integra, Si, and Del sol VTEC rears will do the trick

well fuck me in the goat ass.....i can't read...........help?

·
Registered
11,248 Posts
follow the link in my sig for info on rear disc conversion. I wouldn't recommend drilling the rear drums. It will accelerate shoe wear, the fronts do most of the braking, and I would be worried about dirt getting inside of the drum and wearing components out.

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
kommon_sense said:
follow the link in my sig for info on rear disc conversion. I wouldn't recommend drilling the rear drums. It will accelerate shoe wear, the fronts do most of the braking, and I would be worried about dirt getting inside of the drum and wearing components out.

drums are t3h suck

·
Registered
614 Posts
i dont even recommend putting discs in the rear unless u have to tame alot of power. if you are running stock engine with soem bolt ons it will be useless because u really dont need to stop that quick unless ur a fucking dumb ass who doesnt pay attention to the road, or u think stopping quick gives u such a rush due to the massive blood flow to ur head during inertia.

And the drums are sealed for a reason. ;)

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Sev_civic said:
i dont even recommend putting discs in the rear unless u have to tame alot of power. if you are running stock engine with soem bolt ons it will be useless because u really dont need to stop that quick unless ur a fucking dumb ass who doesnt pay attention to the road, or u think stopping quick gives u such a rush due to the massive blood flow to ur head during inertia.

not true, drums are a lot more prone to fade then a disc is because they retain a lot of heat, heat kills braking, discs run cooler and offer a lot more fade resistance, so if you road race/auto-x etc, rear discs would be ideal

·
Registered
185 Posts
yea if you drill the drums they will fall apart in acouple months from the rust/water ect. bad idea... getter off spending money on a big brake kit

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
1slo4dr said:
yea if you drill the drums they will fall apart in acouple months from the rust/water ect. bad idea... getter off spending money on a big brake kit

big brake kits are retarded and unnecessary

·
Registered
11,248 Posts
Sev_civic said:

Brakes don't have much to do with power. You can get a 70hp CX up to 100mph.

Rear disc brakes provide more balanced braking which helps the car be more predictable when braking in a corner.

Also, anything that improves braking in a street car is a good thing. We don't always get to choose when we want to stop quick.

With that said, I'm very happy with my rear discs.

·
Registered
185 Posts
big brake kits are retarded and unnecessary
\
yea ok ...your an idiot ... bigger brakes = less heat ... less fade ect ... i can't remember the last time i saw less than 12" of rotor under the wheel of a high proformance sports car.

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
kommon_sense said:

With that said, I'm very happy with my rear discs.

so am i, but i need to change my booster and m/c

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
kommon_sense said:
I don't think that I've seen a big brake kit yet that gives you a new booster/MC and prop valve (if needed).
you are right, i haven't thats because most dont have that, and most people will not take the effort to purchase something like that, if i were to do a big brake conversion i would have 2 M/C's, one for the front and one for the rear, and set up the proportioning valve accordingly

·
Registered
11,248 Posts
1slo4dr said:
\
yea ok ...your an idiot ... bigger brakes = less heat ... less fade ect ... i can't remember the last time i saw less than 12" of rotor under the wheel of a high proformance sports car.
True. However a high performance sports car also has the rest of the braking system to support the big brake kit... appropriately sized master cylinder and brake booster. I have yet to see a big brake kit for a honda/acura that comes with those components. I really don't want to try to install a big brake kit on my car while retaining my stock 15/16" mc and booster. You won't be able to push enough fluid to the calipers for proper braking.

I've seen some big brake kits that don't even come with new calipers, they just relocate the caliper further out and give you a bigger rotor.

So big brake kits are not crap, but most of the ones offered for honda/acuras are.

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
1slo4dr said:
\

riiiiiggghhhtttt, d00d i know what big brake kits do BUT you will not stop ANY FASTER, they will just resist fade better IN A HIGH HEAT SITUATION, the only time you would need something like a big brake kit would be on a short road course w/ a lot of turns where you have to accelerate and slow down constantly other then that it is useless, do youreslf a favor and PM the moderator lOOkatme, he had a big brake kit on his lude and he actually had LONGER stopping distances w/ that kit on his car over the OEM stuff.......:rolleyes:....and since WHEN was a civic a "real sports car"......:rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.