Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1996 GSr sedan and i try to heat up the area where the dent is.. after doin that.. i press the dry ice on it.. the dent haven't pop up? what should i do??

·
Registered
12,240 Posts
wtf..

dry ice pops dents?! BS, i would have too see it in person..

well if it does work, then my guess is your not heating it up enough

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
90Si said:
wtf..

dry ice pops dents?! BS, i would have too see it in person..

well if it does work, then my guess is your not heating it up enough
probably not.. but i read some post on team-integra and SHO, they said dry ice work.. even my friends say it. why wotn work for me? i have to heat it more?

·
Registered
864 Posts
I'm not sure if dry ice works, I know a regular ice cube on a hot surface does. My friend had small dents all over his hood on his 96 integra (black), so we left it out in the sun all morning/afternoon (to get the body hot), and put a few ice cubes on the dents, let them melt completely. It worked for us, there are still dents there but they aren't nearly as bad as before.

·
Registered
5,895 Posts
viet_83 said:
probably not.. but i read some post on team-integra and SHO, they said dry ice work.. even my friends say it. why wotn work for me? i have to heat it more?
cant you ask your friends?

edit: didnt mean to sound rude or anything but maybe they can show you how its done

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
x D3MON x said:
cant you ask your friends?

edit: didnt mean to sound rude or anything but maybe they can show you how its done
yeah i can ask them, but i can't ahold of them cuz it been a long time since i heard from them. i'm transferrin to other college rite now. I remember that dry ice work but didn't post til now. i already got some advice on how it work.. u just hover around the dents.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I've used dry ice to pop dents before. It is pretty easy. You can see a good article on this dry ice website. Basically, the steps are:
  • Heat the surface with a hairdryer
  • Remove the hairdryer
  • Apply dry ice to center of dent
  • Remove dry ice
  • Wait for it to warm back up
  • Repeat up to 4 times

·
Super Nazi Mod
5,806 Posts
what you are talking about is heat shrinking. and it is a lost art to be honest. you use a torch and water to relieve pressure of the area to pop it back out. If you are using a torch do not use dry ice, use water. do not get it red hot glowing you will ruin the metal. if are using a torch I suggest you not do it. it does require someone to actually teach you the technique.

I have never used the dry ice and blow dryer. but it basically the same principles, I would think it is possible but like he said it will take more than once and depending on the size of the dent it won't work.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Yeah, the "repeat" step is very important for dry ice dent removal. I have heard of people using an upside-down can of air spray... they say it works the same way. But the nice thing about the dry ice is that it does not bother the paint at all.

·
Registered
39 Posts
yeah i can ask them, but i can't ahold of them cuz it been a long time since i heard from them. i'm transferrin to other college rite now. I remember that dry ice work but didn't post til now. i already got some advice on how it work.. u just hover around the dents.
Yo mite want to lern sintenc structyur or how too splling B4 u go 2 colleg mutch less swap2 a diffrent on. sumtims two get ure poitn across you hav to us all tha werds in a sentence to get it to werk. is hrd i no but yo'll figur it out <@;D

Anyway, doesn't the dry ice mess up the paint? Excessive heat and cool distort metal so I would assume this would be bad for it but if it works then great!

Oh and seriously, can you not spell or use proper sentence structure? Use all the words in a sentence, I know it's a lot of work adding them all in but believe me it's worth the extra time ;)

·
Registered
14,616 Posts
Congratulations! You dug up a two year old thread to give a grammar lecture. Good for you. :btu
Er, check that: eight year old thread. Damn.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts