Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a honda civic thats not certified yet to be on the streets. Am doing emmsions this week and i will like to burn off all the carbon deposits before i take the test.

If i put the car in neutral and rev it at 2000 rpm for 30 minutes straight, will this harm my engine? What will you recommend i do? Driving it is not an option.

Another curiorsity i have is this, Expert opinion here please. Should the car fail emission again, (it already has once) Am thinking of running two catalytic converters. The logic is that it will trap twice as much pollutants and therefore help me pass emmision. After the pass, i will just remove one. Will this work?

Car is 91 honda civic si.

·
Registered
10,272 Posts
Find out why it's failing emissions....a second cat will just cover up a problem without dealing with it.

Also I wouldn't rev the car for 30 min unless you have a VERY strong fan blowing over the radiator...otherwise the car will most likely overheat.

·
Registered
20,101 Posts
Do you have a check engine light on or anything, don't try to put a band aid on the thing, if you are failing emissions then you are also probably getting crapy gas mileage. And if you do run the car at 2k for thirty mins then I would suggest you leave the hood open while doing this.

·
Registered
20,101 Posts
integraboss15 said:
I have a testpipe on my car. Will it pass emissions?
They usually look under you car with a mirror to make sure you have one so probably not. I gutted my cat on my dx and it still passed, so if you car is running right and the engine is in good shape then it is possible.

·
Registered
11,248 Posts
integraboss15 said:
I have a testpipe on my car. Will it pass emissions?
put a cat on your car. There is only like a 1hp difference in a test pipe and a good high flow cat. Difference is you are legal/reponsible with using a cat and you won't go deaf from the obnoxiously loud test pipe.

·
Premium Member
29,826 Posts
kommon_sense said:
put a cat on your car. There is only like a 1hp difference in a test pipe and a good high flow cat. Difference is you are legal/reponsible with using a cat and you won't go deaf from the obnoxiously loud test pipe.
if he isn't a boosted 1.6-1.8 why are you running a test pipe?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.